Add Product

Search Results:

Window Movie Maker

I am trying to burn my homemade movie of pics/videos onto a DVD. I am using Windows Movie Maker. I used to have a HP Vista that WMM fried my hard drive. I had to replace it and it fried it again. I am currently using Sony Windows 7 laptop and it burnt my dvd the first time but the dvd skipped half way through. So I am trying to burn another one and it won't burn. It encodes the dvd and starts to burn it them stops and says that the dvd can't be created and to try to use another disc or check my dvd burner if it is functioning correctly. Well I don't know how to check if it is functioning correctly. I have went through about 7 dvd recordables and I just don't know what to do. What is wrong? Why is Windows Movie Maker, which I love/hate, on these computers if it is going to ruin my computer when I burn with it. It's a love/hate relationship. I just want it to work for once. If I can't my computer (which is less than 9 months old) to burn anymore, what are my options? Are there places that I can go that will burn my movie off of my computer? I want this movie not someone to make a movie for me just burn it for me. PLEASE HELP! I AM FRUSTRATED AT THIS POINT.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Window Movie Maker

There is no way that software like WMM could damage your computer physically.

It sounds to me like your computer has some sort of hardware failure causing drive problems (maybe a flaky power supply or dying SATA controller?), or possibly you have a virus/malware infection that is screwing with things.

To see if the hardware is at least functioning correctly, try a more basic task like burning a premade ISO image of something to a disc.  I prefer to use InfraRecorder for such tasks as it's lightweight, free, and fairly flexible.  (It won't replace WMM's encoding/DVD authoring functions though.)

------------------
*disclaimer* I am not now, nor have I ever been, an employee of Best Buy, Geek Squad, nor of any of their affiliate, parent, or subsidiary companies.
Valued Contributor

You are either using bad media (usually the result of buying cheap discs such as the Dynex brand) or the optical drive on your computer is faulty for some reason. Stick a DVD movie in your optical drive and let it play for 10-15 minutes. If it works fine, then your drive is okay. You should check the Sony support website for your laptop and look for software patches pertaining to your optical disc. Sony computers usually come with media programs that replace things like Windows Movie Maker so look into what you have.

Vendor Participant

Hi babytoes,

The responses you have received should your help you resolve your issue.  As I work at HP, I was curious about your statement, "I used to have a HP Vista that WMM fried my hard drive."    Do you mind elaborating?

Regards,

Priscilla,

HP Social Media Ambassador

The views expressed in my contributions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views and strategy of HP.

Priscilla, HP Social Media Ambassador
Trusted Contributor

@TheLexMachine wrote:

You are either using bad media (usually the result of buying cheap discs such as the Dynex brand) or the optical drive on your computer is faulty for some reason. Stick a DVD movie in your optical drive and let it play for 10-15 minutes. If it works fine, then your drive is okay. You should check the Sony support website for your laptop and look for software patches pertaining to your optical disc. Sony computers usually come with media programs that replace things like Windows Movie Maker so look into what you have.

Not a particularly valid test - a drive can be working sufficiently for DVD playback but not for DVD recording.

------------------
*disclaimer* I am not now, nor have I ever been, an employee of Best Buy, Geek Squad, nor of any of their affiliate, parent, or subsidiary companies.

I keep getting not less than blue screen and it shuts down. My computer would not stay on for more than 10 minutes and it would get that screen and one other one that i never caught what it said. I have Norton Antivirus on it. I haven't had the computer up for a long time because it is unusable at this time. The problem started as I was trying to burn the dvd for my first daughter 2 years ago. I took it to someone to repair. He had to replace my hard drive. So I again reloaded my programs. Computer worked fine. I later tried to burn her dvd again and same thing. I researched on the internet. Overheating and malware can cause that screen. But I had norton on it and the computer at the time was only 1 1/2 old. All that I used it for was college and storing pics/videos. I never downloaded any software on it. The computer was very lightly used up to the point of burning that movie I made with WMM. A solution would be great. And a solution to why I am having troubles again with my Windows 7 not burning anymore after burning one dvd that was skippy. The discs I am using are Memorex DVD+RDL 8x 8.5 GB 240 Min.I did eventually get my 1st daughters dvd burnt but was unable to burn another one after adding her bday pics to it so i just settled for what I got. I used the same discs with my 1 st daughter as I am trying to use with my 2nd daughters movie. Like I said, I was able to burn the first DVD that started skipping half way through but I am unable to burn more than 20 or 30 minutes of it now and it spits the disc out. I'm to the point that I just want to know why and want it done. I have wasted so much time saving the movie to my hard drive and trying to burn it. It takes about 2 hours each time just for it to spit open the drive and tell me it couldn't be created. If I play back the dvd in my hard drive it will play about 20 minutes our so of it then stop and I assume that is all it burned on it. I haven't had any problems with other dvd's playing on this computer. I love WMM but have had bad XP with the burning process. ???????

Valued Contributor

The "IRQ Less Than or Equal To" error is almost always RAM related, i.e. one of your RAM chips is bad.  Occassionally, this can be related to a bad hard drive, but I have only seen it once myself in all the computers I have repaired. 

I would also suspect heat issues in your case.  Transcoding video and burning it to DVD are processor intensive, causing it to get very hot, In addition, the laser in the DVD also produces a lot of heat.  I suspect that your laptop is not very efficient at circulating cool air, either because of it's design, or because the air flow is blocked by dust/debris. 

If you find my post useful or informative, please click the icon below with the plus sign and star to give kudos. Thank you!
Trusted Contributor

@NoNoBadDog wrote:

The "IRQ Less Than or Equal To" error is almost always RAM related, i.e. one of your RAM chips is bad.  Occassionally, this can be related to a bad hard drive, but I have only seen it once myself in all the computers I have repaired. 

I would also suspect heat issues in your case.  Transcoding video and burning it to DVD are processor intensive, causing it to get very hot, In addition, the laser in the DVD also produces a lot of heat.  I suspect that your laptop is not very efficient at circulating cool air, either because of it's design, or because the air flow is blocked by dust/debris. 

Where did he state which bluescreen he was getting?  I see no references to that annoying "IRQ Less Than or Equal To" error - and it is rarely RAM related, it's usually the fault of a badly written driver.  It was a common problem, for example, on Dell E1705s with Bluetooth because the Toshiba Bluetooth stack was AWFUL.

The OPs problem sounds like overheating, malware, or a bad driver.

Try burning (using a different computer) an Ubuntu LiveCD and running the hardware tests - http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download

Don't install Ubuntu - just run it from the CD and run the hardware tests.  Also I believe the CD can directly run memtest86, which is a good way to stress test your RAM to see if it is bad.

------------------

What do I need to look for in a computer that will not cause me to have problems with burning dvd's? If I have to fix the fan and driver and buy software to reload my computer, then I might as well just buy a new tower. I am not knowledge enough to open up a computer to fix it myself. My husband might get ambious enough to take on the task but he isn't knowlegdable in computers either. And even at that for it to just happen again. We suspected the fan might be bad and causing overheating just by researching the Not equal to or less than blue screen on the internet. But again, I can't afford to take it to geek squad to get it fixed when I can just buy a new tower for less than what they would charge me to fix this one. My husband screen cracked on his old laptop from me stepping on it in the middle of the night and they wanted to charge him hundreds of dollars to fix it and he decided to try and fix it himself and did for only $50. So another words I think they are outrageous in their repair costs. And I would probably just be better off buying a new tower or figureing out how to fix or improve this tower. I can't loose anything that way cause it doesn't work now anyways. What do I need to look for in getting something that will succuessfully burn dvd's without problem.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Anything on the market should be able to do this.

Personally, in terms of build quality, I would go with Asus and avoid HP, Compaq, eMachines.  HP seems to be notorious for poor cooling.  Other brands will be in the middle.

------------------