Add Product

Search Results:

Topics: 1,116
Kudos: 753
Blog Posts: 0
Solutions: 271

Who says integrated graphics are bad for gaming?

Recently I purchased the Slimline EMachines Desktop with the Athlon 2650e Processor. It has an Integrated Geforce 6150 graphics chip.

I installed the Doom 3 demo for the heck of it to see how the performance was. Seems like I knew what the results were going to be. 

I WAS SURPRISED!

Doom 3 ran surprisingly well! When it ran for the first time, it picked out medium graphics @ 640x480. This was acceptable to me for I just want to play the game and not care about the jagged edges etc. The beginning of the game was a little bit choppy due to the shadowing of some of the objects but once I got out of that room, it was running quite smoothly. 25-30 fps. Which is definently playable in my book. 

I will test Quake 4 for the heck of it tomorrow even though it requires a 2.0ghz minimum and thats an AMD Athlon 64 processor (dont know what speed)

***Please keep in mind that I am not employed by Best Buy and are just a regular forums Super User and an everyday shopper like you. If you find my posting helpful, please add kudos to it. Remember to mark answered questions as solved if something helped you to speed up the answer queue for other customers***

Re: Who says integrated graphics are bad for gaming?

Heres an update:

I ran Quake 4 for the heck of it despite it said the minimum requirements was a 2.0ghz Pentium 4. 

Wow. I am kind of impressed. Of course I had to turn down the detail level to low, but the game runs smoother then I thought. This little computer is not bad at all to run some of these kind of games at low detail without too much of a hassle

***Please keep in mind that I am not employed by Best Buy and are just a regular forums Super User and an everyday shopper like you. If you find my posting helpful, please add kudos to it. Remember to mark answered questions as solved if something helped you to speed up the answer queue for other customers***

integrated graphics cards are not ment for gaming,.. its a small chip, it uses shared ram, and is slow. you may be able to play old games and new ones on low quality, but there is no comparison to a dedicated card.  they are indeed very bad for gaming. if you want to game get a better GPU. you may not be a gamer and thats fine, but if you do some research i bet you will be surprised.

Im just happy to be able to play it on the budget I was going for Smiley Happy I could care less about high detail this, anti alising that, etc.

"Who says integrated graphics are bad for gaming?" this is the title isn't it?