Add Product

Search Results:

Highlighted

Video card for Gateway 4710-05

I would like to install a game-quality video card in my new Gateway 4710-05 computer. Is this possible with the configuration listed below. I have 1 available PCI slot, and 2 available PCI Express slots. What type of video cards would you recommend, and would this require the removal of the hardware listed below?

Graphics Adapter: Intel(R) G33/G31 Express Chipset Family

Adapter Type: Intel(R) GMA 3100  320 MB

Highlighted
Topics: 1,134
Kudos: 580
Blog Posts: 0
Solutions: 273

Re: Video card for Gateway 4710-05

Your computer has a 300 watt power supply. The best you can do without running the risk of overheating your computer / making it unstable is a Geforce 8400 GS. You can see it here:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8990666&type=product&id=1218007087696

I was reading on the internet how some people have gotten higher end cards to run on lower wattage power supplies but if the voltage rails and amperage are weak, you might have a paperweight on your desk from pushing the limit Smiley Happy

You can purchase a newer higher wattage power supply however and install that and then use a high end card.

***Please keep in mind that I am not employed by Best Buy and are just a regular forums Super User and an everyday shopper like you. If you find my posting helpful, please add kudos to it. Remember to mark answered questions as solved if something helped you to speed up the answer queue for other customers***
Highlighted

Re: Video card for Gateway 4710-05

Thanks for your reply. A power supply upgrade is probably a good idea. I wish Gateway would have traded some of the 6 GB of memory for a better video card and a larger power supply.

DJK