Add Product

Search Results:

Upgrading a HP Laptop.

I previously purchased a HP Pavilion dv6 laptop and here are the specs.

windows 7 premium, 64bit

AMD Phenom(tm) II N620 Duel-Core Processor 280 GHz

4GB Ram

AMD M880G with ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4250

I am thinking of upgrading Ram and the graphics card through best buy.

I intent for entertainment, music and games, with this laptop. What i need help is,

does best buy even upgrade previously purchased laptops?

How much ram would be necessary to play the Highest end game?

And for optimal graphics, which graphics card is preferred?

Valued Contributor

Re: Upgrading a HP Laptop.

You can't upgrade the graphics but upgrading the memory to 8GB is definitely something you should do. Best Buy has started to carry 4GB DDR3 SODIMMs so you can probably get what you need through them though you will have to find out what kind of memory your laptop takes.

Valued Contributor

Before proceeding with the RAM upgrade, make sure your laptop can support 8GB.  Most laptop motherboards will only support 4GB. 

If you find my post useful or informative, please click the icon below with the plus sign and star to give kudos. Thank you!
Valued Contributor

@NoNoBadDog wrote:

Before proceeding with the RAM upgrade, make sure your laptop can support 8GB.  Most laptop motherboards will only support 4GB. 

That is incorrect. The only laptops currently available that don't support more than 4GB of RAM are a few which use lesser single-core netbook chipsets and the very rare few that don't have 2 SODIMM slots. Laptops have been using 64-bit CPUs and chipsets for the past several years so 8GB support is pretty much guaranteed so long as it's a multi-core cpu. Even my old HP that is about four years old has 8GB of memory in it. 

Valued Contributor

A quick check of the crucial.com website shows that many laptops do not support more than 4 GB, and most of those are dual core. It is always advisable to verify that a particular laptop motherboard will support more than 4GB before spending money on extra RAM.
If you find my post useful or informative, please click the icon below with the plus sign and star to give kudos. Thank you!
Topics: 648
Kudos: 503
Solutions: 315

My laptop doesn't Smiley Sad Or I'd have upgraded by now Smiley Tongue

If you like my post, or solution to your issue/question, go ahead and click on the little star by my name and/or accept the post as the Solution. It makes me happy.

I'm NOT an employee of Best Buy, or Geek Squad, though I did work as an Agent for a year 5 years ago. None of my posts are to be taken as the official stance that Best Buy will take on your situation. My advice is just that, advice.
Unfortunately, that's the bad luck of any electronic, there's going to be bad Apples... wait that's a horrible pun.
Valued Contributor

@NoNoBadDog wrote:
A quick check of the crucial.com website shows that many laptops do not support more than 4 GB, and most of those are dual core. It is always advisable to verify that a particular laptop motherboard will support more than 4GB before spending money on extra RAM.

And just what, exactly, are you looking at?

Valued Contributor

@RealGeorgeW wrote:
My laptop doesn't Smiley Sad Or I'd have upgraded by now Smiley Tongue

What is your make and model?

Valued Contributor

@seyy169 wrote:

I previously purchased a HP Pavilion dv6 laptop and here are the specs.

windows 7 premium, 64bit

AMD Phenom(tm) II N620 Duel-Core Processor 280 GHz

4GB Ram

AMD M880G with ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4250

I am thinking of upgrading Ram and the graphics card through best buy.

I intent for entertainment, music and games, with this laptop. What i need help is,

does best buy even upgrade previously purchased laptops?

How much ram would be necessary to play the Highest end game?

And for optimal graphics, which graphics card is preferred?

I just looked up the specs for dv6 laptops with your configuration and they all accept 8GB of memory. Your graphics card obviously can't be upgraded but the increased memory will give you a significant performance boost in most other aspects of performance when it comes to games. Be sure to use the latest Catalyst drivers.

Topics: 648
Kudos: 503
Solutions: 315

ASUS U50F, the BBY flavor. And no, it's not capable of 8GB, although a few sites claim it can, ASUS says no.

If you like my post, or solution to your issue/question, go ahead and click on the little star by my name and/or accept the post as the Solution. It makes me happy.

I'm NOT an employee of Best Buy, or Geek Squad, though I did work as an Agent for a year 5 years ago. None of my posts are to be taken as the official stance that Best Buy will take on your situation. My advice is just that, advice.
Unfortunately, that's the bad luck of any electronic, there's going to be bad Apples... wait that's a horrible pun.