Add Product

Search Results:

Upgrading Ram

Hello I am looking at buying this computer and upgrading it's RAM at the store. How much would it be to upgrade from 8GB RAM to 16GB RAM?

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/apple-pre-owned-imac-21-5-desktop-core-i3-3-6-ghz-8gb-memory-1tb-hdd-si...

Valued Contributor

Re: Upgrading Ram

You would want to talk to geek squad at the store directly for this.
Emerging Expert

Some of the 21" macs can be easily upgraded and others are marked as difficult or not possible on Apples web site.

I am not an employee of Best Buy and all opinions left on this forum are my own. Please leave Kudo’s if you like a post or click Accept as Solution if a post answers your query.

It is not possible for a user to upgrade the ram on a 21.5" iMac. The SO-DIMMs are on the back of the logic board (if the model has them and the ram is not attached to the logic board) and there is no access door.

The only way to upgrade the ram, if there are SO-DIMMs, requires opening the iMac by cutting an adhesive that holds the display in place and then remove the logic board to access the SO-DIMMs. 

The reason why I said it is not possible for a user to upgrade the ram is because it is a upgrade that requires proper training to complete.

If you have a 27" iMac, the ram upgrade is super easy, there is a door above the power outlet.

I am not an employee of Best Buy.
All opinions and comments are my own.
Emerging Expert

But just a warning. 

If you have Apple Care or are still under warrenty and you upgrade the RAM yourself you may void the warrenty and or Apple Care

I am not an employee of Best Buy and all opinions left on this forum are my own. Please leave Kudo’s if you like a post or click Accept as Solution if a post answers your query.