Add Product

Search Results:

Re: Upgrade video card and power supply or upgrade my pc?

Atm, I got my monitor set for 720x556 for ingame wow resolution. I did have it alot higher, but not sure which setting I should really have it set for for this monitor. I did however do the video card update and my fps is still 8-16 which I could think I would do better. I have ultra settings still on except I have shadow detail and liguid detail on low. Which I have always done for ingame to reduce ingame lag. I guess my monitor says 1920x1200 it is rated for, will try that too.

Trusted Contributor

@RealGeorgeW wrote:
A $400 budget would still give you a very worth upgrade Smiley Very Happy

400 would EASILY get you a 1GB GTX460 and a power supply with LOTS of headroom, and a MAJOR step up from a 9300.

Under $100 would get you a GT240, which should still be more than enough for Cataclysm (and a significant upgrade over a 9300) but you might need to drop a few details down, however with a GT240 you might be able to get away w/o a power supply upgrade.

------------------
*disclaimer* I am not now, nor have I ever been, an employee of Best Buy, Geek Squad, nor of any of their affiliate, parent, or subsidiary companies.

So what kind of power supply, brand and wattage and the video card brand and size would I need, thanks.

Topics: 648
Kudos: 503
Solutions: 315

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+NVIDIA+GeForce+GTX+470+1.25GB+GDDR5+PCI+Express+Graphics+Card/995...

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Corsair+-+Gaming+Series+600-Watt+ATX+CPU+Power+Supply/1073679.p?id=12182...

If you're gonna upgrade, do it in style.

I have one of those cards, it's a BEAST. Smiley Happy

If you like my post, or solution to your issue/question, go ahead and click on the little star by my name and/or accept the post as the Solution. It makes me happy.

I'm NOT an employee of Best Buy, or Geek Squad, though I did work as an Agent for a year 5 years ago. None of my posts are to be taken as the official stance that Best Buy will take on your situation. My advice is just that, advice.
Unfortunately, that's the bad luck of any electronic, there's going to be bad Apples... wait that's a horrible pun.

So I should keep which card in my pc and remove which one to replace with the Asus gtx 470?

Trusted Contributor

Well, in your case I think the existing graphics chipset MAY be on the motherboard.

When you plug in the monitor, is it to the motherboard or to a card in a slot?

If to a card in a slot, replace that card.

If to the motherboard, once an add-in graphics card is detected, the system SHOULD default to the add-in - no need to remove anything.  (Slight possibility you might need to plug in the monitor to the onboard graphics port, change a BIOS setting, then switch to the add-in)

------------------
*disclaimer* I am not now, nor have I ever been, an employee of Best Buy, Geek Squad, nor of any of their affiliate, parent, or subsidiary companies.

Will check as soon as I get home from work, thanks for the help. Will give you a update shortly.

Atm I am plugged into the bottom port. Not sure if that is the motherboard or just the normal video card slot.

Update, it is not the motherboard I have the monitor plugged into. I have it plugged driectly into the crad itself like 4 rows up from the bottom of the pc.

Should I be in the motherboard slot for better video in game or leave it where it is at?

Topics: 292
Kudos: 171
Blog Posts: 0
Solutions: 81

There is no 'motherboard slot', since all slots are on the motherboard.

What he was referring to is if the place where you plug your monitor into, is it built directly into the motherboard or is it plugged into a card pushed into a slot onto the motherboard?

For clarification, the motherboard is the mainboard in the machine. It's the biggest board on the machine and everything else plugs into it. A built in video port would be soldered onto the motherboard, while a plug in variety would be on an external card which is pushed into a slot on the motherboard.

You'd only really know (without already having some knowledge of how computers are built) by looking inside the machine itself.

s.gifI am a Bestbuy employee who volunteers on these boards on my own time. I am not paid for posting here, and you should understand that my opinions are exactly that - opinions. I do not represent Bestbuy in any way.
: Open Mailbox