Add Product

Search Results:

Unmountable Boot Volume, need help. trying to fix the problem via lan if posible?

any information i could recieve from Geek Squad would be appreciated.  i have my computer purchased from best buy that i'm happy with, but my cousin's computer died with the unmountable boot volume error.  i want to use my computer to fix his, or if possible fix his directly from the internet.  any assisstance in this would be nice. thank you.
Topics: 1,845
Kudos: 941
Blog Posts: 0
Solutions: 352

Re: Unmountable Boot Volume, need help. trying to fix the problem via lan if posible?

A reinstall of the operating system through the repair option may cure this issue.
Best Buy Forums Super User since 2008. Please note I am not employed by Best Buy and I answer questions on my own time. If you find something helpful please add kudos to it. Should something solve your issue please remember to mark inquiries as solved.
Topics: 114
Kudos: 61
Solutions: 17

Re: Unmountable Boot Volume, need help. trying to fix the problem via lan if posible?

Hi AngeNeedsHelp!

I hope your cousin got the computer fixed. However, this Unmountable Boot Volume error is not always fixed by simply reinstalling the Operating System (OS). In fact, you may need to back up the drive using an external USB Hard Drive Enclosure.  Even then the drive may not be readable if there are physical errors/damage, and this is nearly impossible to do over the internet since they likely cannot boot the computer?  If there is important information on the drive I would recommend taking it to a professional such as Geek Squad® before attempting anything.  Best of luck!
Matthew|Community Advocate | Best Buy® CorporateVisit our Channel on

you shoud really post more information about you problem, its either a cable is messed up. or your bios has been changed, or you information on the drive is messed up. and the geek squad guy is right except for nearly impossible, it is impossible lol. i would boot off of a windows cd. which will need to be the operating system you use. such as a windows xp install cd. from there you can go into the recover console or something like that, it looks like DOS, and takes DOS commands, but its not really DOS because xp and vista dont have DOS as their base. its very similar but,... its not lol. from there you can run CHKDSK /f which will cause the system to try and fix any problems on possible bad sectors, clusters, ect. this is an easy fix if that is the problem. this will fix any file structure problems on the drive, as long as it wasnt a problem with a change in the BIOS or a damaged cable(if you have replaced a cable it could also be the wrong cable). also im not responsible if you mess up you computer and type in something like FORMAT C: which will earase everything on the drive lol, so do not type FORMAT C: unless you want to start from scratch. or take it back to best buy and say FIX IT lol if you want to wait for 2 weeks.

Trusted Member

[ Edited ]

@defaultuser wrote:

you shoud really post more information about you problem, its either a cable is messed up. or your bios has been changed, or you information on the drive is messed up. and the geek squad guy is right except for nearly impossible, it is impossible lol. i would boot off of a windows cd. which will need to be the operating system you use. such as a windows xp install cd. from there you can go into the recover console or something like that, it looks like DOS, and takes DOS commands, but its not really DOS because xp and vista dont have DOS as their base. its very similar but,... its not lol. from there you can run CHKDSK /f which will cause the system to try and fix any problems on possible bad sectors, clusters, ect. this is an easy fix if that is the problem.

I had a trojan that caused an unmountable boot volume, and this worked for me.

Message Edited by Noob on 12-18-2008 01:16 PM

99% Of Computers That I Have Repaired When It Says "Unmountable Boot Volume" It Is A Bad Hard Drive That Needs To Be Replaced.
-AH