Add Product

Search Results:

Highlighted

Tech Challenged Newbie

I am totally confused by technology. When the young ones start talking about Ram and such my eyes just glaze over. Now, warning you of this, I need help! My daughter wants to buy me a new tablet to read my books on and still be able to play my games. I am a reading addict and carry my fist generation Kindle with me everywhere. I have over 3000 books on this little table and it is lightweight and fits in my pants pocket. I love it.The problem is that I cant listen to music or play my games on it. My daughter told me to do research on tablets and let her know what i wanted. Geezz.........might as well tell me to dance a jig in my wheel chair. I know I would like a 10 inch screen and would love if it was touch activated. I would like to play all my games on it also. I had problems playing Klondike on a tablet that was lent to me recently. I dont know why so please dont ask. I would love it if someone could take pity on a senior citizen who knows nothing about tech.
Highlighted
Kudos: 111
Solutions: 97

Re: Tech Challenged Newbie

Hi CharlotteSalyers, welcome to the forums.

I'll try to provide you with some information that might help guide your future tablet purchase. If you have a question about any part of my post, let me know and I'll try to clarify for you.

Your current Kindle has what is called an "E-Ink" screen. This type of screen looks a lot like paper and the screen only updates when you change the page. The benefits of E-Ink screens are that they are easy on the eyes and have great battery life. This makes the Kindle with E-Ink great for reading books. However, as it sounds like you've already noticed, reading books and newpapers are about all it can do.

On the other side of E-Ink you'll find LCD screen. These are the types of screens that you see on phones, laptops, etc. These screens update the picture many times a second and this is what allows the tablets to play videos, games, etc. You can also read books on this device, but it will look a lot like reading text on your computer screen vs. the clear and crisp display of your original Kindle.  If this does not bother you, then almost any tablet out there will be able to do what you're looking for.  To be clear, if you want to have an "all-in-one" type of tablet that will be able to play games and still allow you to read books, the LCD screen is really the only option.

As far as recommendations go, I would recommend the Kindle Fire HD 10http://www.bestbuy.com/site/amazon-fire-hd-10-10-1-tablet-16gb-black/4389700.p?skuId=4389700

This is a newer version of the Kindle that has the LCD type of display which will allow you to play games, videos, music, as well as read books.  Since this is also a Kindle, you'll be able to sign into your Amazon account to transfer over any books that are stored in your Kindle library.   This is not the fastest tablet available, but it should be able to handle everything that you're looking to do.

The other alternative would be any number of Andoid-based tablets out there.  Something like the "Samsung Galaxy Tab - E"  http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-galaxy-tab-e-9-6-16gb-black/4515201.p?skuId=4515201    This ia a 9.6 inch tablet and would be a good place to start. These Android tablets also use the LCD-type screens and will handle everything the other tablets can do, but can sometimes be a bit tricker to setup and use.

The biggest piece of advice I can give before making a purchase would be to see the tablet in person and try it out in your hands if at all possible.  Almost all of the tablets out there will be able to do the basics of video playback, music playback, internet browsing, games, and books. Generally, the more expensive it is, the faster the performance or the better quality the sreen is.  However, I would recommend checking out the tablet displays at your local Best Buy location, opening the Kindle application, and seeing how the text looks and how the device feels in your hands.

Hope this wasn't all too confusing, if you have any more questions, let me know and I'll try to answer them for you.

-
I am not a Best Buy / Geek Squad employee. All comments and opinions are my own.
Highlighted
Topics: 1,140
Kudos: 568
Blog Posts: 0
Solutions: 278

Re: Tech Challenged Newbie

From what I know about the Kindle App, there is a configuration option to make the text easy to read on the eyes, and when you turn the lights off and read in the dark, you can invert the color for background black and text white.

***Please keep in mind that I am not employed by Best Buy and are just a regular forums Super User and an everyday shopper like you. If you find my posting helpful, please add kudos to it. Remember to mark answered questions as solved if something helped you to speed up the answer queue for other customers***