Add Product

Search Results:

Topics: 5
Kudos: 21
Solutions: 232

Tablets: Android or iOS - Any thoughts?

I've been thinking of getting a tablet.  I'm familiar with the iPad and the capabilities, but haven't really spent much time looking into the Android platform.  Reviews are OK, but I'm wondering if anyone has had any first-hand experience with the Android tablets and what are you thoughts on it?

I'm mainly looking for a multi-media device to use with movies that I own, Netflix, internet device (wi-fi only since I'll use my iPhone's 3G signal) and an e-book reader since I have Hundreds of e-books that I haven't gotten to yet, and reading them on my iPhone screen is a bit small, lol.

Any thoughts?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I DO NOT work for Best Buy. I used to be a Geek Squad Agent for 2 years and this is why I am well versed on their policies and procedures, but I do not work for them anymore. My posts are my own opinions and do not represent any opinions of Best Buy. If you do not like my posts, and want to report me, you can do so by clicking this link and reporting me to the moderators.
---Nearly all virus infections are a result of a problem between chair and keyboard---
Valued Contributor

Re: Tablets: Android or iOS - Any thoughts?

Wait until next year. That is when the tablet wars will really start because that's when the tablet tech hits the streets to replace the repurposed stuff that is out now. Don't buy anything now unless you really want an iPad for some reason.

Topics: 648
Kudos: 503
Solutions: 315

From briefly playing with some concept Android devices at CES, I agree with Lex that next year the gloves will be off and prices "should" drop too Smiley Tongue)

If you like my post, or solution to your issue/question, go ahead and click on the little star by my name and/or accept the post as the Solution. It makes me happy.

I'm NOT an employee of Best Buy, or Geek Squad, though I did work as an Agent for a year 5 years ago. None of my posts are to be taken as the official stance that Best Buy will take on your situation. My advice is just that, advice.
Unfortunately, that's the bad luck of any electronic, there's going to be bad Apples... wait that's a horrible pun.
Community Veteran

Tablets are currently in the early adopter stage. Wait until they are out of that.

BTW, Froyo is not designed for the resolution on the Tab. Gingerbread is.
Valued Contributor

What it ultimately boils down to is this:

Do you want an open source system (android), or a closed system where every option is decided by a company that really does not care what its customers want (iPad).  Both are useful, fun platforms, but if you go with the iPad, you'll be at the mercy of Apple, and have to suffer the indignity of having to install iTunes....

Note that I have both...and they both have their merits.  If Apple could give up its draconian stranglehold of their platform, the bets would be off.

If you find my post useful or informative, please click the icon below with the plus sign and star to give kudos. Thank you!
Topics: 5
Kudos: 21
Solutions: 232

I've got a mac and an iPhone so I already have iTunes, LOL.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I DO NOT work for Best Buy. I used to be a Geek Squad Agent for 2 years and this is why I am well versed on their policies and procedures, but I do not work for them anymore. My posts are my own opinions and do not represent any opinions of Best Buy. If you do not like my posts, and want to report me, you can do so by clicking this link and reporting me to the moderators.
---Nearly all virus infections are a result of a problem between chair and keyboard---
Valued Contributor

I think that once there are are more android tablets on the market, developers will move to that platform because it is open and they don't have to kiss Steve Jobs *ss in order to get their apps in the marketplace. 

I also feel strongly that iTunes is one of the worst oieces of malware ever written.  Bloated, slow, and you have no choice on where you can store your files or in what format, bitrate, etc. 

If you ever have the chance, try a Zune or a Windows Phone 7.  That platform is what Apple wants to be when it finally grows up.  The interface is much more intuite and elegant, it supports more formats and codes, it allows you to store your music where you want to store it....well, I guess you get the picture.

If you find my post useful or informative, please click the icon below with the plus sign and star to give kudos. Thank you!
Topics: 292
Kudos: 171
Blog Posts: 0
Solutions: 81

You know, that's the first time I've seen anyone compliment a Windows product since 1995..

s.gifI am a Bestbuy employee who volunteers on these boards on my own time. I am not paid for posting here, and you should understand that my opinions are exactly that - opinions. I do not represent Bestbuy in any way.
: Open Mailbox
Valued Contributor

I was giving it higher praise than iTunes.   Although neither is perfect, the interface for the Zune Marketplace is much better.  Take if for what it is....

Topics: 292
Kudos: 171
Blog Posts: 0
Solutions: 81

I have Zune Marketplace (as I also own a Zune) and I have to say, while it *is* slightly more user friendly, it's like comparing a rotten orange to a slightly less rotten orange. Smiley Happy

s.gifI am a Bestbuy employee who volunteers on these boards on my own time. I am not paid for posting here, and you should understand that my opinions are exactly that - opinions. I do not represent Bestbuy in any way.
: Open Mailbox