Add Product

Search Results:

Spyware Problems [I Spy Now]

[ Edited ]

My computer told me this spyware called ISpyNow has infected my computer. Since then, I havent been able to use the internet, and it freezes my computer whenever I try to act against it using an Anti-Spyware program. I went into Safe Mode, both normal and Network, and it wont allow me to install or use any anti spyware, saying that the Admisitrator has set policies to prevent this installation. Im only on here by luck; it wouldnt even let me use messengers before.

If I could get some advice, or hopefully some online tech support, that would be lovely. Im using a Dell Dimension 3000 with Windows XP Home Edition, with Firefox as my main browser, due to IE's stubborn behavior that began two years ago. Oh, also, I use BitDefender as my main Anti Virus. I havent been using Anti-anythingelse, but I did install Search And Destroy anti-spyware that was given to me by my computer repair teacher, but in safe mode it says it hasnt been installed. I hope this is enough information to get some good results. Ill be glad to answer any further questions.

PS: System Restore will not work. Ive tried multiple times, but it stops on the last page. I hit next, and it stays up without doing anything. My anti-virus scans run, but they find nothing.

Message Edited by Desdemona on 12-03-2008 03:48 PM
Topics: 1,115
Kudos: 753
Blog Posts: 0
Solutions: 271

Re: Spyware Problems [I Spy Now]

In order rid of this virus, a professional such as the Geek Squad might have to remove your hard drive, stick it inside an external enclosure, and run a scan on the drive on a computer that is not infected to remove this nasty occurance. You should never download programs that are too good to be true unless you absolutely trust it. I know some companies are shady in their vocabulary and do anything to make you trust it  the end result being what you have now happening on your computer.

There are also other solutions available for this. I remember Norton Antivirus used to have a Bootable CD that allowed you to get into Windows and clean up your virus issues.

***Please keep in mind that I am not employed by Best Buy and are just a regular forums Super User and an everyday shopper like you. If you find my posting helpful, please add kudos to it. Remember to mark answered questions as solved if something helped you to speed up the answer queue for other customers***

Lovely, but I really dont have money to spend on programs.

I just ran Spyware Terminator, and it says everything seems to be alright. That is, theres nothing in the quarentine area. It said it found about 200 possible threats, but I went through and most of them seem to be normal programs. If I were to list a few shady named programs that I see in here, would any of you be able to pinpoint some bad ones?

Topics: 1,115
Kudos: 753
Blog Posts: 0
Solutions: 271

There is a program called HiJack This! That can help with the removal of this threat, but its only to be used under the guidance of an expert which I am not qualified to give advice on.
***Please keep in mind that I am not employed by Best Buy and are just a regular forums Super User and an everyday shopper like you. If you find my posting helpful, please add kudos to it. Remember to mark answered questions as solved if something helped you to speed up the answer queue for other customers***
gwl

Go here  =>http://www.malwareremoval.com/forum/    They will assist you with your computer.  They helped me a couple of times.  Good Luck!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gee, I feel old. I bought a computer when 20 meg drive was a big deal.

I found it in my registry, but I dont know if I should delete it.

Name: 000

Icon: A ripped paper with red letters saying "ab"

Type: REG_SZ

Data: ispynow

Shall I delete it? Its in the registry so Im worried.

This is a nasty sort of infection. Here's a removal sent you can use to put it into a somewhat useable condition. After this though, I would reccomend taking it to the local presinct to get it de-bugged, but this will make it so you will have the best chance of success.

1: find a USB flash memory stick. Size does not matter.

2: on another computer download these three files:

Malwarebytes Antimalware

Malwarebytes signatures

Combofix

3: once these are downloaded, go to the infected computer and restart it, while tapping F8 like mad. It may beep, but this is ok. Soon it will come to a new menu, asking if you wish to enter Safe Mode at the top. Choose that one.

4: once in, it may ask you to select an account. If it does, chose Administrator.

5: A box will pop up explaining that we are in safe mode. Choose ok.

6: the desktop may look a little wonky, but this will go away after a bit.

7: plug in the USB memory card.

on the memory card, INSTALL malwarebytes Antimalware.

Once it is installed, run the update file. This will put in the newest detection rules into it.

8: run Combofix. This program will take a while to run, but it is VERY through and removes many rogue spyware infecitons. It will restart your computer.

9: once it is restarted, it will make a log. Ignore it unless we still have issues.

10: click start, right click my computer, and go to properties. In thi new box there is a tab that says  System restore. Check the box that says "turn off system restore". The infection may hide in there to restore itself. Click ok, and wait for 45 seconds or more.

11: run a full scan with malwarebytes.

12: once this is done, remove anything it finds, and leave the Combofix log on the desktop for the Agent, and take it in for a full virus removal.

What I want for Christmas:
In-store agent position at the Burlington, WA precinct.