Add Product

Search Results:

Sony Vaio VGN-FZ430E CD Rom Grinding noises--bring it in?? Yes I have srvce plan.

I recieved this laptop earlier this year (around summer time), and yes I did purchase the extended 3 year service plan--wouldn't have it any other way. My laptop has been working fine, however I went to install something for my cell phone w/ the cd it came with, and my cd rom made this hideous grinding sound over and over again. The cd was not damaged in any way prior to me putting it in. I tried a different cd, which was brand new (no fingerprints, dust etc) and exact same problem. I am thinking that the cd rom is defective or somehow has stopped working properly (the software still worked through the cd)--however I don't want to wait 2 weeks for Best Buy to send it out and figure it out--since it is Sony (I have been told they are not allowed to touch it for hardware problems). What do you suggest that I do? With the holidays approaching, of course BB is not my favorite store to walk into..

What do you suggest I do? Thnks!

Topics: 1,496
Kudos: 727
Blog Posts: 0
Solutions: 320

Re: Sony Vaio VGN-FZ430E CD Rom Grinding noises--bring it in?? Yes I have srvce plan.

Sometimes the labeling of the disc can cause the rotation to be off balance and make these noises. However since its not eating your discs, I would not worry about this issue, if it was scratching them however, its time to get a new drive installed into your computer.

If you absolutely need something repaired under specific circumstances, you may want to check with the GS or other BB employee on these forums and they might be able to work with you on this.

***Please keep in mind that I am not employed by Best Buy and are just a regular forums Super User and an everyday shopper like you. If you find my posting helpful, please add kudos to it. Remember to mark answered questions as solved if something helped you to speed up the answer queue for other customers***
Topics: 112
Kudos: 61
Solutions: 17

Re: Sony Vaio VGN-FZ430E CD Rom Grinding noises--bring it in?? Yes I have srvce plan.

Welcome, liltateetot!

I can just imagine how bad that sounds; I have heard this on other computers.  I hope your software disk wasn’t too damaged! Once, I looked in a drive and there was a second disk lodged inside the drive – if so, get help. Since it may be under warranty/Performance Service Plan (PSP) you might want a Geek Squad® Agent to look at it as soon as possible. I can appreciate not wanting to be without your laptop, but we are an authorized warranty repair location and at least once you know what is wrong you can make an informed decision about getting it repaired immediately or delaying until you can part with it for a short while.  [Tip: avoid the crowds by going in within an hour of closing and remember that shipments only happen on next business days so plan accordingly.]

Matthew|Community Advocate | Best Buy® CorporateVisit our Channel on

Re: Sony Vaio VGN-FZ430E CD Rom Grinding noises edit: Clicking noises now!

Okay, so...I went to turn my laptop on tonight and I hear horrible clicking sounds (nothing is in the cd/dvd drive)...after the vaio screen showing up for a few minutes, i then get a black screen that says at the top "operating system not found". Just fabulous way to end my night.

After some quick thinking, I decided to turn off my laptop again, and the same sequence occured. Well,knowing tht with cel phones if you take the battery out sometrimes it can help reboot stuff, so I used this wisdom. Took my laptop battery out..and was able have a new window show up that stated my windows was not shut down properly, what do i want to do. I chose safe mode, was able to backup some files onto my external hard drive..do a system restore, and now things are back to normal. I am running an antivirus scan.

However, I do know that clicking noises while a computer is trying to load up has nothing to do with a virus or software. It has to do with the physical hard drive itself. So, with my cd drive grinding, and my computer making clicking noises and telling me there is no operating system....I am lead to believe that this laptop should be replaced.

I do have my service plan, and this laptop was purchased in July 08. My question, when I walk into best buy this weekend with my laptop, how fast can I get it swapped for one that isn't actually defective? Forget all the scanning bs and all that "we have to send it out for two weeks to se whats wrong". I bought a laptop, its under warranty, the physical laptop is malfunctioning, in world of warranty, that equates replacement.

Do I speak to a manager directly? Or wha shall I do? I just like to avoid all the bs of dealing with employees that don't know what they are doing. I would just like my laptop to work again.

Thanks!

Trusted Member

Sorry to hear about your laptop.

Unfortunately they will not forget all of the bs, and you will have to send it out if you want it fixed.

You paid for the service plan, and when your product is malfunctioning it will have to be sent out for service.  You will not be able to go into Best Buy and get a replacement laptop.  It doesn't matter what you say to them, or why you think you deserve one.  They won't give you one.  You can try to talk to a manager, but it would most likely be a waste of time.   

Send it out, and wait 2-3 weeks.  At least you won't have to pay anything.

Recognized Member

sounds like hard drive went back. bring it in.
Topics: 112
Kudos: 61
Solutions: 17

[ Edited ]

Hey liltateetot,

Thank you for the additional information. Glad to hear you backed up your data and tried a system restore to eliminate the possibility of software issues. I agree the clicking noise is most likely a hardware issue requiring a replacement part. "OS not found," when coupled with a clicking noise, could be an ominous sign for hard drive failure. My laptop had the same issue. I understand the uncertainty, frustration, and anticipation felt during the repair process; it is stressful, no doubt.

Whenever we “honor a manufacturer warranty” Best Buy® complies with the manufacturer’s preferential outcome. Providing this convenience to customers reduces your stress of figuring out shipping and other details associated with direct-to-manufacturer repairs. Our employees are empowered to verify if the manufacturer deems it possible to replace in store (which is not common for large-ticket items) or if it qualifies for repair by our authorized service centers. There are many other variables (product condition, warranty terms, and other minutia) to consider, it is sufficient to say that many laptops need to be sent to the service center first to verify and address hardware problems.

Liltateetot, if you have further concerns about your repair process, please send me a private message (click my name, select "Send a Message" ) with your service order number for clarification and I will see how I can help.

[Side note: Geek Squad® now has a “Fix or Repair Calculator” for those without a valid warranty or other coverage.]

Message Edited by Matthew-GS on 12-18-2008 03:36 PM
Matthew|Community Advocate | Best Buy® CorporateVisit our Channel on