Add Product

Search Results:

Samsung Odyssey G9 Monitor Scandal?

Hi, I recently purchased a Samsung Odyssey G9 monitor from best buy. I was hesitant to purchase this monitor because it's a $1600+ cost and there were many negative reviews about this monitor. Then was told that a new model came out G97T series which addressed many issues. Although there are many G95T series monitors still selling out at Amazon at $1200 I made a purchase of the G97T series to be on the safe side. What's very surprising and disappointing is that though the monitor label shows model number as G97T, all computer software e.g. Nvidia control panel, many monitor testing software and even Windows and macOS determines this monitor as a G95T series. I am getting a feeling that I got a dupe. Is Samsung just slapping a new label on old monitors and selling it via Best Buy? Does Best Buy know anything in this regard and have you tested monitors to ensure that Samsung is sending you the new models? Is there any way I can send you images of the Samsung Label and the model detected by various OS and software to demonstrate Samsung's trickery?

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Re: Samsung Odyssey G9 Monitor Scandal?

Did you call samsung and ask? Or is it that the software doesn't recognize the newer model number? Or maybe a 97 literally is a 95 with a software update to solve problems.

I did discuss this with Samsung. The representative asked me to ensure I have the latest Samsung firmware and drivers and also NVIDIA drivers. Then asked me to share the images and after 30 mins of back and forth checking just came back saying that if the label says G97T it is G97T.

I have used multiple monitors in the last 15 years and every single time Windows and macOS detected the correct models (not generic). Also, all monitor testing software also detects this monitor as G95T series. My point is that the monitor label should match the monitor software else something is definitely wrong.

Topics: 1,446
Kudos: 705
Blog Posts: 0
Solutions: 316

Maybe your monitor belongs to a certain class of monitors where your brand is incorporated in one large group. I have seen this with monitors a long time ago, it is detected as " X" series where X is the brand name or common name of the product group.

***Please keep in mind that I am not employed by Best Buy and are just a regular forums Super User and an everyday shopper like you. If you find my posting helpful, please add kudos to it. Remember to mark answered questions as solved if something helped you to speed up the answer queue for other customers***