Add Product

Search Results:

Accepted Solution

Router Options for Pop - Should be an easy question :) TYVM

Good Early Afternoon from Blizzard-Stricken WI,

I'm looking for suggestions for a Router for my Pop.

Presently, Dad has a tower computer -- however in the spring he'll be moving since Mum passed away. He doesn't want a large  home anymore. Therefore Dad has decided he'll purchase a laptop computer.  I don't know which brand/model or anything like this.  Pop is also flirting with the idea of a Mac - I'd guess he'll probably stick with a Windows based system but I cannot be for sure.

Dad doesn't know it yet - but for Christmas my brother purchased a HP 4580 Wireless 'All-in-One' Printer.  I am going to purchase Pop a Router for Christmas. Pop finally understands that he can be in one room and click Print, and the document/pic, etc will print in the other room.

As far as I know - Dad will be the only person on a computer wherever he moves to. Occasionally I'll be there and may bring my laptop -- at that time I'll just sign in as guest and enter the password info.

So good folks -- what do YOU recommend insofar as a Router for Dad?  Will you please name some brands/models that you feel are popular and work well?

I did ask Dad's computer Guru for advice. He simply told me to get a Router that is "wired to the printer" -- because he doesn't want to "go to your Dad's house every other week because a *%#!/<! wireless Router is screwed up or just simply failed."   Are there really many issues with wireless routers?

So I guess I should ask two questions.  1.) What would YOU recommend for me to go and purchase (brand/model if you know it please)

and

2.) Wired to the printer -- or wireless?

A bit of additional information -- Pop is 78 years old. He's in good health -- however he can't get around like he used to. He can't be crawling around stringing wires and Pop cannot see the medium/smaller print on hardware (heck, often I can't either! lol).  ~~~~ Additionally -- currently Dad is using Charter Cable for his ISP. Whenever he moves to may not have Charter. Dad will get the fastest connection that he can and that's reliable. However sometimes there are not a lot of choices. (example: I live in the country. We don't even have dial-up. Egads.  I do use satellite from HN and I have my Cisco Router wired to the satellite modem.  This is no problem for me - but it does take up the back section of an end table and it looks rather cluttered.  This is just a FYI though).

~~~~ Thanks SO much for advice.  Folks -- I REALLY appreciate any advice that you will give me.

Cheers!

Topics: 292
Kudos: 171
Blog Posts: 0
Solutions: 81

Re: Router Options for Pop - Should be an easy question :) TYVM

I would recommend the Netgear N-150. While it is a cheaper router, you mention it's for an older person - someone who might become confused by additional features. Having used another model in that series for a long time now, I assure you this one works reliably.

s.gifI am a Bestbuy employee who volunteers on these boards on my own time. I am not paid for posting here, and you should understand that my opinions are exactly that - opinions. I do not represent Bestbuy in any way.
: Open Mailbox

Thank you very much RedWyv3 for responding.

Yes, Pop is 78 years old -- he has a hard time seeing smaller things like Ser. #s/Model #s and such. lol - so do I and I'm only 50!

Dad's body may be getting older -- but his brain is very sharp. I sure hope that my mind works like his when I'm even 60.

Back in the early 50's - Pop was in the Army. Randomly, 1/2 of the soldiers were sent into the Korean War. The other half were sent to various sites, mainly Germany.  My Dad was sent to Germany. He soon learned that his Army assignment was to go into a very large, loud room, and work on a computer --- a mainframe computer. I'm told that back then "a computer" was as large as a room. (unbelievable -- blows my mind in many ways).

As years progressed -- Dad stayed in the computer arena --- well into the time when the local governments were starting to purchase personal computers.....DOS was the big deal back then.......so was changing those extra large, ?5"? or 5.25"/5.5" square floppies.  lol ~~~ Pop had to learn about PCs at that time -- though all thought that he should be a guru, after all - he'd been working with and on computers for years and years.  lolol  He couldn't convince the ppl that a Mainframe and a PC were entirely different mindsets.

Pop 'mastered' PCs -- even as they continued to change.  He still is far more advanced than a lot of the folks of many age groups.

Dad started to slow down learning the inner workings of PCs and the like -- in the later part of the 90's.  He figured that he knows his way around the internet -- he can still fix many issues when needed.........or just call his own computer guru.

Pop, I'm sure, doesn't want something that is complicated to use. However he also wouldn't want something that is not powerful enough, or too basic for his needs.  His needs are to connect wirelessly, to print wirelessly, to upload and download, to scan, send and receive pics (his own cameras) along with a little editing.  All very 'normal' computer functions.

I can't see Pop sharing a connection or file sharing with anybody (well as I said, I may connect when I visit with him -- but I'll just enter and save his passwords and such).

Anyway, Dad is not computer illiterate by a long shot --- however if he doesn't need a bunch of bells and whistles -- then so be it.  (Oh also... when Dad gets his laptop, be it Windows or Mac based....and however he will end up connecting if he's not with Charter Cable ---and considering Dad's usage -- is there a 'power' or 'strength' type of issue? I mean, all is going to change......so if he has a laptop, say with a different type of connection.....and a different home configuration.....will he need, if there is such a thing -- a more powerful strengthwise Router if he's ?? upstairs and the Router - printer, etc. is downstairs?  Silly question probably --- however I really don't know about such things).

Thank YOU once again Red --- You're ARE "Super."

D- 

So my Red friend -- :-)   ...... do you still think a Netgear N-150 is the best option for my Father?

I think the answer to these questions (and the underlying questions) is an explanation of *current* router technology.

I can assume by your statements that you understand how routers work, in basic - being that they allow multiple users to share the same internet connection, and that connection is typically wireless.

Did you also know that most routers, even the cheaper ones, have local area network already built in? Several forms of security options? Blocking of IP's, specific domains, and even restrictions based on MAC addresses? These features are all atypical of routers, and it's actually hard to found a router that doesn't have this included, even if it's not specifically listed.

What you are looking for in modern times is format - wireless A, B, C, G, and N. G and N are the only two used today, and they describe both speed and protocol. Which do you pick? Well, G used to be king, but N has taken over as a faster format. Yet, on the reverse side of the argument, G is plenty fast for 95% of people out there no matter what their application.

Still, I recommend N, just because it's not that much faster.

If you are looking for extended range, remember that most routers can be set up as a 'wireless relay', either extending existing wireless signal, or providing a wired access point (as needed) in another room. You would simply buy two of the same router and set them up to do that. 

You also want to check out the routers with two antennas - they tend to be longer range models.

Still, I live in a two story house, and my little cheapie router covers me in all rooms - and about 40' outside in a circle out front. Walls don't make a difference. Some insulation *in* walls *will* block the signal, but it would affect equally a high powered router as it would a normal one.

In other words, there is a lot of hype out there for higher pricing - so, unless you have a specific application in which you NEED an expensive router, just go ahead and get a cheaper one. The one I recommended will be fine - and if you need to extend the range, just grab another one and use it as an extender.

s.gifI am a Bestbuy employee who volunteers on these boards on my own time. I am not paid for posting here, and you should understand that my opinions are exactly that - opinions. I do not represent Bestbuy in any way.

Thank you Red - very much. You taught me a lot today.

Pop will get his router at Christmas --- and his wireless all-in-one printer. The router, in part - is because of your kindness while volunteering here on the boards. I was afraid to buy the wrong thing -- all was confusing to me. You cleared this up....so Pop will start to go wireless very soon -- partially thanks to you.
Cheers!

Volunteering? I get 'paid' in Kudos. Smiley Happy

I hope he enjoys it! I apologize that I could not respond to you in a more conversational way, but I am literally working with 20 open and active windows here right now. 

lol -- geeze, it took me the longest time to figure out HOW to give kudos sweet Red!

I'm not a deadbeat - lol -- thank you for your help and I hope your payment in Kudos makes you smile.

Hey - Red with the 20 windows up (lol) -- You're in TX -- if you'd like - pls PM me. I'm starting to hunt for a state w/in our continental USA where I'd like to live. One or more areas being looked at are in TX! ~~~ Pop - he'll be moving too -- we'll be close by each other, but likely not in the same town. (there's a reason for this -- to be explained at another time if You're interested).

Now back to receiving Kudos from those of us who are totally lost -- as well as those who are totally on the ball.

Take care -- thank YOU again Red.

D-

PM sent. (upper right hand corner of window, envelope looking icon).

This is my first time on these forums and found your interesting posts... I'm actually thinking of getting a new router myself, hence reading this post. I'm 54, so I sure know where your Dad is coming from about reading the tiny print on these gadgets Smiley Happy  And I have worked in one of those rooms with the huge computers, WOW, how things have changed Smiley Happy  And hey, that was only back in the 80's. But I've seen pictures of the monsters they had back in the 50's and 60s ...  a really cute movie about some of this called Desk Set, with Katherine Hepburn & Spencer Tracy, GREAT movie!

I'd like to make another recommendation that I think your Dad would love. Instead of a laptop, check out the Sony Vaio all-in-one computers with touch screen. I just bought one myself and LOVE it. I can easily see everything, and even though I'm a super fast typist, I reallllly enjoy the touch screen & scrolling windows with it. The screen is very big and bright. The model I got was the VPC-J115FX/B, and luckily found it on sale at Best Buy. I had done comparisons on the various all-in-ones with touch screens, and pretty much this Sony blew everything else out of the water as far as response speed and how the screen looks.

I'd suggest this over the laptop because since it's all-in-one, it's easy to move around to a different room if necessary, and yet it's BLAZING fast and easy to use. I've gone "off" laptops because they tend to be sluggish in comparison, they get hot, you can't really leave them on for long periods. I even had one of those cute Netbook thingies, and ended up giving it to my daughter Smiley Happy  If I really need it sometime I'll just borrow it back. But any-ways, thought I'd throw my opinion out there so you can have your Dad compare the all-in-ones against laptops & see what he thinks. 

Moving to Texas, eh?  I live in Leander, TX which is just a short hop down the highway from Austin. Basically you can't tell where one ends and one begins.

Melissa