Add Product

Search Results:

Resetting a hard drive on a password locked computer

I have an HP Pavilion pretty much brand new that I purchased off a friend but the screen is locked with a password how do I reset the whole hard drive or reset the whole computer
Trusted Contributor

Re: Resetting a hard drive on a password locked computer

Get the password from your friend. 

It is nearly impossible for a non properly trained person to unlock it.  Helps make theft usless.

Please leave Kudo’s if you like a post or click Accept as Solution if a post answers your query. I am not an employee of Best Buy and all opinions left on this forum are my own.

Unfortunately...my friend passed away
Thanks though
I chatted with an agent here and they told me I can bring it into the store and they will remove it for $40 I just thought there was a way to get around that I appreciate your input
Trusted Contributor

$40 is. A good price.
Please leave Kudo’s if you like a post or click Accept as Solution if a post answers your query. I am not an employee of Best Buy and all opinions left on this forum are my own.
Topics: 163
Kudos: 178
Blog Posts: 0
Ideas: 54
Solutions: 33

I do concur with bobberuchi, many computer companies would actually charge more for such a "simple IT service".

While there is a way around it as bobberruchi also mentioned it sort of is a preventive measure against theft so it isn't suggested to say such ways on these public boards.

I may not always know the right answer, but I will always tell you what I do know. I also do free computer analysis and consultation via private message.
Topics: 1,046
Kudos: 768
Blog Posts: 0
Solutions: 256

@Jason23wrote:
I have an HP Pavilion pretty much brand new that I purchased off a friend but the screen is locked with a password how do I reset the whole hard drive or reset the whole computer

I'm sorry to hear of the circumstances of your friend passing away. For obvious and legal reasons, we're unable to provide forum members with the means to remove passwords that have been set.

The local Geek Squad may be able to assist you but may require more information to verify that the laptop is yours. This is done to protect the owner of the system and prevent fraud. Once they have successfully verified you, they can offer you the appropriate service to get this resolved. 

***Please keep in mind that I am not employed by Best Buy and are just a regular forums Super User and an everyday shopper like you. If you find my posting helpful, please add kudos to it. Remember to mark answered questions as solved if something helped you to speed up the answer queue for other customers***