Add Product

Search Results:

Removing Windows S Mode

How much memory is needed to remove Windows S mode?
Valued Expert

Re: Removing Windows S Mode

Should not take any memory to do that. 

However, if you take a computer out of S mode and it is a relatively low end computer you may encounter performance issues going forward.

I am not an employee of Best Buy and my opinions are my own

I am not an employee of Best Buy and all opinions left on this forum are my own. Please leave Kudo’s if you like a post or click Accept as Solution if a post answers your query.

I bought a laptop a few months ago that was in S mode. I had to return it to my local Best Buy store. I was told there was not enough space to download what was needed to get it out of S mode. It was brand new and I had not downloaded anything.

I do not need a expensive laptop. I only use it for email, browsing websites and watching church live streaming twice a week. I use Google Chrome and MSN Explorer. So a laptop in S mode is of no use to me
Topics: 1,480
Kudos: 719
Blog Posts: 0
Solutions: 319

You followed the directions here right https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/switching-out-of-s-mode-in-windows-10-4f56d9be-99ec-6983...

FYI You really dont need hardly any memory to do so it is a simple switch that turns on the full OS mode

***Please keep in mind that I am not employed by Best Buy and are just a regular forums Super User and an everyday shopper like you. If you find my posting helpful, please add kudos to it. Remember to mark answered questions as solved if something helped you to speed up the answer queue for other customers***

I bought a laptop from. Best Buy online in July. The first thing I did was try to get it out of S mode. I did everything the instructions said to do. Unfortunately, I was not able to download what I needed to from the Microsoft Store. I called Best Buy Customer Service for help. The man told me I had to take the laptop into a Best Buy store. There was nothing he could do over the phone to solve the issue. I took it in. The man at the Best Buy store told me there was not enough memory to download what is needed to get it out of S mode I did not download anything prior to trying to get it out of S mode. I returned the laptop and got a refund.

Topics: 1,480
Kudos: 719
Blog Posts: 0
Solutions: 319

Very strange indeed! I dont know if that is an accurate diagnosis or not but never heard of that problem before. 

***Please keep in mind that I am not employed by Best Buy and are just a regular forums Super User and an everyday shopper like you. If you find my posting helpful, please add kudos to it. Remember to mark answered questions as solved if something helped you to speed up the answer queue for other customers***
Valued Contributor

There are actually 2 ways.

One is of course the app store way

The other is turn off secure boot in the bios. S mode evidently needs it and it will be disabled upon reboot.

I finally found a laptop that is not in S mode. It is
HP - Pavilion x360 2-in-1 14" Touch-Screen Laptop - Intel Core i3 - 8GB Memory - 128GB SSD. I prefer several others that have 8 GB and 256 GB SSD. Unfortunately they are also in S mode.

I am trying to find out if after downloading what is needed from the Microsoft Store to get a laptop out of S mode. If the remaining memory might be close to the 8GB, 126 SSD where I do not have to download anything to get it out of S mode. I am a senior on a fixed income. So cost is important. I do not know much about laptops. So I really need some advice

This is the laptop I bought in July and had to return.
HP - 14" Laptop - Intel Celeron - 4GB Memory - 64GB eMMC

Thank you. I will look into that
Valued Contributor

Removing s mode thru Microsoft doesn't really take any space. It's just a setting that requires a Microsoft account to change.