Add Product

Search Results:

Accepted Solution

Reinstall OS - WinXP Media Center Edition

I have an HP Pavilion a1230n desktop PC.  I bought it at Best Buy 2 years ago.  It is running Windows XP v2002 Media Center Edition (SP2).  I would like to reinstall the operating system.  However, I can't seem to locate the Windows XP MCE software CD.  I am not sure I actually received the media when I bought the PC.  I found my original packet of software and manuals, and it only contained hard copy manuals but no Wndows XP MCE CD. 

Here is my concern.  I do have a copy of Windows XP Pro (SP2) from another PC I own.  Will the producet key found on the Windows XP sticker on the HP Pavilion case work if I install Windows XP Pro?  If not, how do I reinstall the OS? 

Topics: 1,806
Kudos: 915
Blog Posts: 0
Solutions: 351

Re: Reinstall OS - WinXP Media Center Edition

Your computer may have a button that says press a certain button to enter system recovery. It might even tell you the button on the bottom right

If you didnt create recovery sets or you lost them you might be prepared to call HP for a recovery set at a fairly big charge.

In response to your question about operating system discs, the answer is no. One copy of Windows is tied to your computer and is customized for the OEM. OEM Software may not be transferred to another computer period.

Best Buy Forums Super User since 2008. Please note I am not employed by Best Buy and I answer questions on my own time. If you find something helpful please add kudos to it. Should something solve your issue please remember to mark inquiries as solved.

I'm not sure I completely understand your response.  Then again I am just a Red Wing simpleton!

My computer is currently functioning ok.  I would like to reinstall the OS to start fresh with this same PC (HP Pavilion a1230n).  Over the past 2 years I have installed and uninstalled software and hardware and my PC has some issues.  Probably driver clashes etc....  So I am prepared to rebuild from a clean OS install, even to the point of reformatting the hard drive.  I am familiar with this procedure as I have done it many times with other PC's. 

Does a "system recovery" reset my PC to factory default configuration? Is that essentially the same as reinstalling my OS?  If so, that may do the trick.   However, when I did a search on "System Recovery" in the "help and support center" on my PC, it states that to run a system recovery, I will need to have the "operating system installation CD" - which is the very thing I don't have. 

Also note, I ran 3rd party software "Majic Jelly Bean Keyfinder 2.0.1" on my PC to identify my Windows XP v.2002 MCE SP2 product key which returned results that ended with:  xxxx8, and coincidentally calls my OS "Microsoft Windows XP Professional".    However, the sticker on the side of my PC ends with xxxxT.  I find that interesting. 

If I have a valid Windows XP (whatever) product code on the side of my HP Pavilion, or if I use the one found by Majic Jelly Bean, shouldn't it still be valid if I reinstall the OS using Windows XP Pro software CD?

Topics: 1,806
Kudos: 915
Blog Posts: 0
Solutions: 351

I apologize for the confusion for which I have presented to you in my posting Smiley Very Happy

A System Recovery restores your tower to the factory defaults from which you first opened it. The Operating System is part of the factory image, and does not need a product key entered a majority of the time to complete installation.

Now onto the product key sticker you found on your tower. That key is usually a volume license key from the OEM. Not compatible with a retail Windows XP disc. More specifically, a Windows XP disc from another brand of computer will not work on the product key for which you have your tower.

Best Buy Forums Super User since 2008. Please note I am not employed by Best Buy and I answer questions on my own time. If you find something helpful please add kudos to it. Should something solve your issue please remember to mark inquiries as solved.

Between you and HP support (phone), this issue is resolved.  HP basically told me that I should have created a backup/recovery/restore disk set shortly after I bought the PC!  Yeah, right... that was the first thing on my mind with a new PC at my fingertips!  Lesson learned.  Next time I buy a computer I will look for the Operating install disk and if it is missing, I will certainly make the backup/recovery/restore disk set immediately! 

In the end, I have to order and pay for a disk set from HP as you indicated in your first solution.  BTW - the cost for the disk is $15.93 including shipping 2-5 day ground.   That's not so bad, just annoying.

Thank you for your help and suggestions.  Go Red Wings!