Add Product

Search Results:

Question about Video Cards on Laptops

Hi everyone, and sorry if I post this in the wrong area. I own a few computers, some are consider ancient and others are somewhat old but can run Windows XP just fine. I have a question about the computers in the stores today.

I am looking to invest in a new laptop, possibly a desktop in the near future depending on my budget. The question I have about video cards today is that, I enjoy a good MMO game now and then, I don't expect to play heavy intensive games, just maybe some more advance games. I notice that for one game that I want to play, it requires a video card to have (Shadow Rendering, Vertex and Pixle Shaders). Do the computers today have those as standard for thier video card? Or do I have to invest in a little bit more expensive laptop/desktop. I am willing to invest money for some more RAM, if I need to improve its preformance. The reason I ask is because I have a 4 year old Laptop with a broken keyboard, and I was thinking about just replacing the laptop with a newer one. it has some pretty good specs and runs everything fine, but it can not play certain games because of those missing video requirements. (Current laptop incase someone is curious: 1.5Ghz Celeron M, 1GB memory 64MB video (Shared) ) Thanks to anyone who has the answer to this question. (P.S sorry if everything is scrunched together. for some reason the formatting is wierd on Opera web browser

Recognized Member

Re: Question about Video Cards on Laptops

what is your budget? if high into 2k, get a gateway fx or toshiba qosmio.

if into 3k-4k, get alienware

if 1k or under............. not worth it.

Graphics cards have all those standard today... or at least they should unless you get a really cheap Graphics card. The kind of graphics card and processor and other specs of the computer you want to get should depend on what you want to do with it. It also depends on the kind of games you want to play. If you're playing FPS [first person shooter] then you need a really good graphics card and processor. If you're playing something like Diablo 2 or something that's on the lower end of graphics then you just need decent specs. Graphics cards, I suggest something with aGeForce Nividia card... as of today, they are in the 9 series for high-end cards I believe. For processors... get something like Intel Core 2 Duo T9500 or T9600 or the Core 2 Quatros or Extremes. Extremes are intended for hardcore gaming and would be more expensive. For RAM you should have at least 2GB... you can always upgrade that later.

For laptops my suggestions are:

$3k+ get a customized alienware

$2-3 get a customized dell xps, or macbook pro [although if you're gaming i would suggest you dual boot with windows xp or vista]

$1-2k get a cheaper customized dell, or sony vaio

under $1k... well I don't know what to say... you can't really get a nice gaming computer for under that price.

I personally DO NOT like HP computers at all because they are so quirky and have so many problems and break down easily.

I completely agree with all the suggestions listed above. I would like to add for consideration (though some people might not agree) that if you are looking for a low to mid range budget I would suggest a Compaq laptop. Those as long as you get the upper model are decent gaming computers. I have a compaq desktop from 05 that I have at least 20 games on (probably more, I have lost count) and it still runs at a fast speed. I actually bought it for I think 645$ I can't remember. I can play fsX Command and Conquer Generals and a lot of first person shooter games. I have only had to get the graphics card updated. The laptops are equally good from what I know. I would definitely suggest it. 

Topics: 1,114
Kudos: 754
Blog Posts: 0
Solutions: 271

Heres some things to think about. The Nvidia (6100 and above) and ATI(x1xxx and above) integrated chips support at least Pixel Shader 3.0.

The Intel GMA 3000+ Series will support Pixel and Shader Model 3.0 only with the latest drivers. Installing Intels drivers from their website can be a pain on Windows Vista since Laptop Manufacturers have Intel provide custom drivers.

The power scheme on your laptop can play a big factor in the way the graphics run. For example, I play NHL 09 on my Toshiba Laptop with ATI 3100 Graphics and an AMD Athlon 64 x2 QL-60. If I dont have the power scheme set to high performance, the game gets loopy and starts having speed mood swings Smiley Happy

***Please keep in mind that I am not employed by Best Buy and are just a regular forums Super User and an everyday shopper like you. If you find my posting helpful, please add kudos to it. Remember to mark answered questions as solved if something helped you to speed up the answer queue for other customers***

Hi everyone sorry for not replying sooner, anyways thanks for your suggestions, however I am looking for a laptop that is under 1K.

The reason is that I plan to take the laptop to class, it has to be battery efficient as well as NOT get stolen while I am on campus... Plus I do not plan to play any intensive shooting or first player shooting games.. just certain games.

I see that the laptops meet todays requirements, Its the video card Im concern about

If I want to go for pure gamming, I think I will invest in a Desktop instead because they have more power overall then a laptop.

Anyways back on track, I do not plan to get the cheapest laptop out their maybe something decent, 200GB hard drive 3-4GB of memory.. (because of vista) Dual Core, 2.0Ghz+ since thats the standard.

An example of a game that I wish to play is: Atlantica Online

The requirements isn't to bad, but I must say even though the system resources aren't taht high, it still very laggy on a P4 2.8Ghz HT.

I don't need the system to be perfect.. just that it can run this game and maybe some other future games..

So the laptops today should have those pixle sharders and rendering available as standard on all laptops today?

Hello again,

I saw the reply you put out and looked up the price for the Compaq laptop I had suggested. The base price without any options is 450$. It includes vista. You can upgrade it with AMD Turion 64 X2 Dual-Core QL-62 (2.0 GHz), 2GB DDR2, NVIDIA GeForce 8200M G, And a 250GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive for about 743$. If you get from Compaq.com it costs that amount. I do not know if that includes tax, but shipping is free. I do not know if you can get from Best Buy but if you need more info just go to the compaq website. Like I said earlier I would Highly suggest this laptop if you are looking for a laptop for under 1k.

Highlighted

I just read your posting and i have to tell you that the best laptop for the price and functionality would have to be the asus sku # 9050242, w/ the system you get 4 gb ram, 250gb hard drive, centrino processor that computes at 2.6ghz, and after all that you get NVIDIA GeForce 9300M GS graphics. and its all for $849.99

check it out i think you'll like it.