Add Product

Search Results:

PCI and PCI Express 2.0

Hello, 

I was wondering if anyone could solve my problem....I would like to get a new Gfx Card For my PC Desktop And I have been using a PCI Nvidia Card. I was wondering if I could use a PCI express 2.0 Card In that slot... I am not to sure if I have a PCIe Card slot and do not know how to find out... Can anyone please help???

Topics: 1,804
Kudos: 914
Blog Posts: 0
Solutions: 351

Re: PCI and PCI Express 2.0

For anyone that needs to figure out the bus type on their motherboard visit www.bustype.com and then compare the chart to what is in your computer.
Best Buy Forums Super User since 2008. Please note I am not employed by Best Buy and I answer questions on my own time. If you find something helpful please add kudos to it. Should something solve your issue please remember to mark inquiries as solved.

Depending on how new your computer is and what brand, you could conceivably have both a PCI slot and a PCIe slot. Go check out your MB to see exactly what you have and go from there.

Hey,

I have had  the same problem. I recently bought a PNY 8800GT which is a pci express 2.0. I think it is also called x16 sometimes. Anyway most computers that support an express card usually support 2.0. What kind of computer do you have. Like what brand and model. I actually have a 2005 Compaq and was worried about the same thing. I found out that if you are getting the computer from bestbuy it lists the motherboard type required. Usually it needs an AMD or Intel. Either way if you have a fairly new computer you probably have no problem, you still may want to call Bestbuy if it is compatible. Make sure your power supply is good enough. I had to spend an extra 60$ on one. Also be prepared for a 50$ installation fee if you plan on getting it installed at Geek Squad.

2.0 is a new feature and some computers(even new) dont have them
Topics: 1,804
Kudos: 914
Blog Posts: 0
Solutions: 351

A good portion of PCI-e 2.0 cards are  backwards compatible with the x16 format.

Best Buy Forums Super User since 2008. Please note I am not employed by Best Buy and I answer questions on my own time. If you find something helpful please add kudos to it. Should something solve your issue please remember to mark inquiries as solved.
Recognized Member

PCI Express 2.0 (aka pci-e 2.0) offers the g92 graphics card chipset as opposed to the PCI Exress x16 (aka pci-e x16) takes the g80. G92 chipset is faster than the old g80 chipset. there fore the graphics cards are faster.

the pci-e 2.0 slot is slight faster than the pci-e x16

now here is the scenario. if you have a pci-e x16 and you put in a pci-e 2.0 graphics card, you will be capped (limited) by the pci-e x16 speed. if you have a pci-e 2.0 and you put in a pci-e x16 card, you will be capped at the pci-e x16 speed. to get the full potential of the pci-e 2.0 speed, you need to make sure you have a pci-e 2.0 speed and a pci - e 2.0

will you be able to tell the difference between the pci-express x16 and pci-express 2.0? no not at all.

Are they compatible with each other? yes.

if your computer is from 1998-2003 it will have the AGP

if your computer is 2003 to early 2008 it will have the pci-express x16

if your computer is 2008 to present it will have the pci-express 2.0

these is just rough estimate. it was in 2004-2005 when they started to phase out the AGP and in 2007 and 2008 where they started rolling out the pci-express 2.0.

it will be better if u can provide your make and model of your computer and we can determine which one do you have.