Add Product

Search Results:

Accepted Solution

PC to TV

I have a couple of questions, please.

If my new PC has built in wifi and my future new TV also has built in wifi, will I be able to view the videos and other content stored on my hard drive, wirelessly? Will I need anything else to make this possible? My TV sits less than 8 feet from my PC but stringing cables around the room just isn't practical.

I am new to all of this integrated tech so if anyone could steer me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

Topics: 648
Kudos: 503
Solutions: 315

Re: PC to TV

No, not the way you're thinking at least.

You can purchase a media player(I'm partial to the Western Digital ones) that will allow you to access and stream content on your computer to your TV however.

If you like my post, or solution to your issue/question, go ahead and click on the little star by my name and/or accept the post as the Solution. It makes me happy.

I'm NOT an employee of Best Buy, or Geek Squad, though I did work as an Agent for a year 5 years ago. None of my posts are to be taken as the official stance that Best Buy will take on your situation. My advice is just that, advice.
Unfortunately, that's the bad luck of any electronic, there's going to be bad Apples... wait that's a horrible pun.
Topics: 1,806
Kudos: 914
Blog Posts: 0
Solutions: 351

Hmmm there are wireless video kits if thats what you are after

Best Buy Forums Super User since 2008. Please note I am not employed by Best Buy and I answer questions on my own time. If you find something helpful please add kudos to it. Should something solve your issue please remember to mark inquiries as solved.

@Hockey, I'm still partial to the streaming devices, since it adds the features of Hulu, Youtube, Netflix, etc, instead of just being a video passing device, for about the same price.

If you like my post, or solution to your issue/question, go ahead and click on the little star by my name and/or accept the post as the Solution. It makes me happy.

I'm NOT an employee of Best Buy, or Geek Squad, though I did work as an Agent for a year 5 years ago. None of my posts are to be taken as the official stance that Best Buy will take on your situation. My advice is just that, advice.
Unfortunately, that's the bad luck of any electronic, there's going to be bad Apples... wait that's a horrible pun.

I know the media players have been around for a while now but I have never used one.

Thanks for clearing it up and pointing me in the right direction.

Note that your PC will need to be on to access the content, and the media will have to be in a shared folder. Other than that, the WD's are great little devices, I have two of them, so if you go that way, and have issues just post back.

Ok, i've been looking at media players on youtube and see that you connect the player to the TV via an hdmi cable but the guy said, "plug your storage device into the usb port on the media player" which has me a bit confused. That sounds like you need to use  something like a thumb drive to carry the content physically to the player.

Can you give a basic idea how to set things up?

Not sure it matters but my video card only has dvi

Smiley Happy The media play hooks directly into your TV via HDMI, and should connect either wirelessly to your network. Most of the players(the WD for certain) have USB ports so that you can put photos/music/movies on a thumb drive and watch them directly off of it. Most will also support a keyboard, for easier typing.

Sorry I wasn't clearer before. I'll sum up the entire setup. The "player" will be next to your TV, plugged in via HDMI. It will also be connected to your WiFi. Your computer(which I assume has your media/movies on it) will also be on your WiFi. The folder that has your media in it will need to be shared(right click on the folder and go to Sharing). The player should be able to then find that folder when you browse for it, and play the media on your TV.

Thank you

I don't have a router or wirless network. All I have is a cable modem and the wifi card in my pc.Smiley LOL

Do I need to upgrade?

That'd depend on the layout of your home. If your computer is near the TV, a cheap $20 hub/switch would work, if they're separated, then a wirelfess router would work well also.