Add Product

Search Results:

Highlighted

Online college student; understanding the best and most cost effective computer for my needs

Hello, I need a new computer. I'm beginning online college and I'm definitely on a budget. I need to be able to; take webcam proctored tests, create and submit assignments, and download materials (probably a few other things as well) what is the difference between Intel, Intel I3-7, AMD....am I forgetting anything? I'm not sure if I'd like a laptop or an all-in-one or a tower..I like the idea of a large monitor for an all-in-one to be able to watch TV. In this case what I need a monitor or would a television be a viable or cheaper alternative? Everytime I get a laptop I seem to break it. I'd also like it to be able to read and write DVD. Does anyone have an opinion? I always want the newest and best however in this case I'm not sure if necessary. Maybe it is? I'd appreciate any input. I should probably add I'm a very driven student and it's important that my work is done appropriately. Thanks for your help
Highlighted
Emerging Expert

Re: Online college student; understanding the best and most cost effective computer for my needs

Your hardware needs are actually pretty small.  Most laptops for desktops will do what you asking right out of the box.  However some laptops these days do not come with a DVD drive. so you would want to watch out for that.

For cost effective your generally better off with a non laptop computer.  

Since your one a budget I would look around for a monitor first.  Modern monitors last for years. I  have spare Dell 17" monitor that somebody gave to me.  Works great. 

Now to your quesiton. between intel i3 to i7 or AMD.  That is the processor in the comptuer that is really the brains and heart.  For most people the difference are negligable.   People who want to run grapic intensive games or heavy video or photo editing may want a higher end processor   For your purposes any processer should be fine.  

Fortunaly when you go separate components you don't need to have the same brand.

Asus makes some beautiful monitors for around $100.

This model is a good example.

• Model: VS228TP
  • SKU: 2572033

For the computer I have had good luck with Dell, HP and Toshiba.  

HP makes a really sharp slimline that has everything you need for school and at a reasonable price.

this model 

• Model: T3Z89AA#ABA
  • SKU: 492650

$249

So for $350 your pretty set.  However I would get the protection plan

However, there is a featur online I have not seen before. They now give you a deal for a bundle.  You can get this computer with a 20" HP monitor for only $329

Personally I stay away from All in one computers. As mentioned above a monitor can last a long time.  So if you buy a really good monitor today, chances are you will still be using it 8 to 10 years from now.  I had twin 19" Dells at my office for 14 years and my company just got me new montiors and there was nothing wrong with the monitors. In fact I kept one to a thrid monitor.

Please leave Kudo’s if you like a post or click Accept as Solution if a post answers your query. I am not an employee of Best Buy and all opinions left on this forum are my own.
Highlighted

Re: Online college student; understanding the best and most cost effective computer for my needs

I want to start off by saying thank you. I think it is incredibly generous of you to take your time out not only to answer this question but to List actual products that would serve my needs. I feel bad asking, however you seem to be the most educated person I'm in contact with regarding computers. My boyfriend and I are purchasing this computer together. He is interested in a laptop. He wanted to have a laptop for the draft. I however think a job is perfectly sufficient for this task. Is it? If indeed we did purchase a laptop what do you suggest? The most we would like to spend is $650 and I am open to any and all suggestions that you might have. I genuinely just want the best computer for the money. That's a laugh! Who doesn't, right? I myself prefer a desktop /all in one. ... there is one reason that may seem extremely silly to you but is extremely relevant to me, I really want a rainbow RPG keyboard for school. I'm kind of goofy and I feel like it would make a big difference in my mood when it comes to my assignments. Additionally, I'm not sure if there's anything that comes with office preloaded but that would be preferred. Honestly, I feel bad asking but I get so overwhelmed when I go into the store. I feel like the employees don't necessarily know what they're talking about. Thank you again for your time.
Highlighted
Emerging Expert

I have a keyboard on my gaming laptop that has a bunch of colors.  It looks really neat in the dark. Right now I have it set to yellow, pink and blue and it pulses.  It is not why I purchased this computer but I certainly want it going forward.

Unfortunatly I do not know if any of the laptops with that type of keyboard are in your price range.

However, to suit both of your needs a portable all in one may be the way to go.  When he goes to his draft he may have to make arrangements to put it on a table but some of the all in ones are designed to be portable. They do come with a keyboard but you can always get an RGB separate to use with it.

Many of the portable all in ones utilize a wireless keyboard, in which RGB may not be an option.

Howver, most of the all in ones are easily movable (for draft purposes)

Howver, looking at the combo I posted earlier you could also purchase a moderate laptop that would be suitable for all draft purposes and use of social media. And still be under or around your $650  Granted it would not be a powerful machine, but you could both get what you want. 

something along this line

• Model: 15-af131dx

Please leave Kudo’s if you like a post or click Accept as Solution if a post answers your query. I am not an employee of Best Buy and all opinions left on this forum are my own.