Add Product

Search Results:

Highlighted

Not sure what's wrong with my computer

So I have a HP ENVY m6 notebook PC. I bought it brand new from Best Buy about 4 years ago and it worked great. Sadly for the past couple months it won't even turn on. When I press the power button my computer will say "Failure to configure windows updates. Reverting changes. Do not turn off your computer" and it stays like that with no changes. Please help!
Highlighted
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Not sure what's wrong with my computer

What happens if you leave the machine for 6 hours?  Sometimes it takes that long to complete those processes.

Highlighted

I have never tried to keep it on that long
Highlighted
Vendor Participant

@Bones2185, thank you for your posting your concern.  As @xl states, if you are referring to updates, last week it took around 6 hours for Windows updates to complete.  What is your status?  If the issue is not resolved, please email me via BestBuy (click on the orange envelope above) with your product number and serial number. 

Priscilla, HP Social Media Ambassador
Highlighted
Topics: 164
Kudos: 178
Blog Posts: 0
Ideas: 54
Solutions: 33

So a quick fix for this...

Press Win key + R

(Keep in mind you are about to go to registry which if you aren't confident in what you are doing or click on the wrong thing and change it you can do some damage to your operating system)

Type in "regedit"

Follow this directory path

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> Software -> Microsoft -> Windows -> CurrentVersion -> Setup -> OOBE

Once you are there click the line that says MediaBootInstall and click edit

Change the value from 1 to 0.

Okay so close the registry window now.

fDo Windows Key plus + R again and type in "cmd"

Once your command prompt opens type in "slmgr /rearm"

Now all you have to do is press enter Now all you should have to do is update and restart.

I may not always know the right answer, but I will always tell you what I do know. I also do free computer analysis and consultation via private message.