Add Product

Search Results:

Highlighted
Valued Member

New Windows 10 Lenovo will not autoplay

I have a two week old Lenovo desktop that will not run Autoplay at all.  Inserting a CD or DVD or media card or flash drive produces no results,   There is no on-screen notification for any media and I KNOW for a fact that the Autoplay is turned on.  My six month old Lenovo laptop also uses Windows 10 and has the same settings for Autoplay that the new desktop does and all media inserted into the laptop works perfectly.  I have tried to solve the problem by searching online but no solution seems to help in my situation.

Thank you for any advice you can provide me. 

Highlighted
Emerging Expert

Re: New Windows 10 Lenovo will not autoplay

Let me assure you your new Lenovo desktop is just fine. 

Microsoft made the judgment call that Autoplay by default is now set to OFF.becuase of the number of complaints of Autoplay doing something other than what the user wanted etc...

To turn it on

Open AutoPlay.  Go to the windows Icon single click on it and in search box type Autoplay

as your typing some suggestions should pop up.  One of them under control panel is Autoplay

A dialog window should appear with a header something like Choose what happens when you inserte each type of media.  etc...

There should be 16 or more choices.   The one for Software and games is the one your looing for in this instance

The drop down bar lets you make your choice.  If none have been set the bar may say Choose a default.

There should be 4 choices

Install..

Open folder...

Take no action

or 

Ask me everytime

Hope this helps

Please leave Kudo’s if you like a post or click Accept as Solution if a post answers your query. I am not an employee of Best Buy and all opinions left on this forum are my own.
Highlighted
Valued Member

Thank you for your input....on my Lenovo in Settings-Devices- Autoplay is on.  In Control Panel-Hardware and Sound it is set to Autoplay.  Import photos and videos is checked and should be enabled.  Play videos is checked and should be enabled.  In Software and Games Install or run program from media is checked and should be enabled. 

Yet still no media will run or install.  And no I do not have any type of security software enabled.  The DVD drive spins but inputs nothing.

Once again thank you for your assistance. 

Highlighted
Emerging Expert

did you try a different disk or program to see if autorun does not work for that as well?

Please leave Kudo’s if you like a post or click Accept as Solution if a post answers your query. I am not an employee of Best Buy and all opinions left on this forum are my own.
Highlighted
Valued Member

Thank you for asking....NOTHING WILL AUTOPLAY....I have tried half a dozen different SD cards, 4 pre-recorded DVD's, and three software CD's....all work flawlessly on my older Lenovo laptop but the desktop will not recognize any of them.  Just an additional comment:  When I first got the desktop I tried plugging in my 4 year old Canon MP 490 all in one and it recognized that printer immediately and I did not even try to install the software for it.  Yet the Lenovo refused to recognize a brand new Canon printer that is supposed to be Windows 10 enabled and will not let me install the software.  Again I appreciate your assistance. 

Highlighted
Valued Member

So.....does anybody ese have a suggestion?  I have owned six desktop computers since 2004..they ran XP or Vista or Windows 7 or 8...but NONE of them gave me anywhere near as much of a headache as this Windows 10 machine does..it amazes me the problem is so nagging. 

Highlighted
Kudos: 123
Solutions: 97

As someone who works on these types of issues all day, let me say that fighting autoplay is a nightmare.  Without being able to see the computer, I can only offer some suggestions and troubleshooting steps.

1.) Check to make sure that the "Shell Hardware Detection" service is running.

- Press the Windows Key + R to open the run window and type "services.msc" 

- Scroll down until you see the Shell Hardware Detection and double click on it.

Near the middle of the Window, you'll see "Service Status: ". If it says "Running", Press the "Stop" button and then "Start" to restart the service.

2.) Test the problem from a different user account.  

- Right click on the Start button in the bottom left hand corner of the screen and select "Command Prompt (Admin)

- In the window type:    net user TEST /add /active:yes         (<-- Copy/Paste it)  and press ENTER.

- Then type:    net localgroup administrators TEST /add      (<-- Copy/Paste it)  and press ENTER.

This will create a new administrator user account named "TEST".  You can then close out of the command prompt window and log out of your account.  

Log into the TEST account and see if the autoplay features start working.  This will let us narrow down where the problem might be.

3.) If you are comfortable with regedit,  navigate to  [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer] and look for a key named "NoDriveTypeAutoRun" and make sure that the hex/dword value is 91. If the dword or hex value don't exist, create one.

4.) Check for any Cyberlink/CyberDVD software that might have come pre-installed with the computer.  The DVD software is notorius for hijacking the autoplay settings of the computer so that all DVDs are opened with only their software. 

-

Regarding the printer, if you connected the MP490 with a USB cable, Windows will try to pull a generic driver for that printer as long as it's available from the driver repository on your computer, or available for download through Windows Updates.  It's still recommended that you download the actual MFG driver and software suite when available as it will have better support for things like scanning and color options. 

How were you trying to set up the new printer? USB or wireless?  If it's being connected wirelessly, have you already gone through the wireless setup wizard on the printer to connect it to your wireless network? Are you trying to convert the printer to wireless by using the USB cable?  

If USB, try using a non-USB 3.0 port on the computer.  Generally the 3.0 ports will be color coded blue.   When you plug the USB cable in, do you hear the initial 'ding' from the computer showing that it's recognized a new USB device?   You can open the run window and type "devmgmt.msc" (or type Device Manager into the bottom search bar) to see if there are any entries that match your printer under the "Printers" or "Print queues"

Make sure not to plug the printer in to the computer with the USB cable before the setup asks for it.  If Windows installs default printer drivers before the setup application begins looking for the printer, it will fail to find it.   Wait until the setup wizard on the computer asks you to plug the cable in before doing so.

-

If all else fails, you can restore the computer back to the factory defaults to rule out any operating system issues or changed settings on the computer.  You can also have someone like me try and fix it for you by going to www.geeksquad.com/chat . Hope it helps and good luck!

-
I am not a Best Buy / Geek Squad employee. All comments and opinions are my own.
Highlighted
Valued Member

Thank you for your input.  Perhaps I should make it clear that this desktop is BRAND NEW and just out of the box.  It has been on for maybe ten hours at most and the vast majority of that time I have been trying to get it to recognize any external devices,  It will not recognize ANYTHING...be it a CD, DVD, a memory card, a phone, a wireless keyboard, NOTHING AT ALL.  The only thing it would recognize is the older Canon MP 490 printer.  It would not read the CD for that one so I just plugged the printer in and it worked.  I tried to install the software for the new Canon printer but the computer will not install it.  I did not plug in the USB cable for the new printer. 

On my Lenovo laptop when I insert a CD or DVD into the drive I get an onsceen notice about the Drive E...I NEVER see any onscreen notices on the desktop.  The ONLY thing I have done with the new desktop is set up ONE email account.

I do not want to make ANY changes to this computer because I am probably going to end up shipping it someplace to have it fixed.  It it incredibly frustrating to have a brand new $650 desktop fail to work properly out of the box and I am mad as h*ll about wasting all my time on a problem that should not have happend in the first place.

Thanks to all for your time. 

Highlighted
Topics: 1,117
Kudos: 557
Blog Posts: 0
Solutions: 271

I work for a computer software company and sometimes even when auto play is enabled, Antivirus or Security packages can cause discs to be scanned before anything else happens. It may even appear at times that the discs are blank when you enter them, but all computers are different.

***Please keep in mind that I am not employed by Best Buy and are just a regular forums Super User and an everyday shopper like you. If you find my posting helpful, please add kudos to it. Remember to mark answered questions as solved if something helped you to speed up the answer queue for other customers***
Highlighted
Valued Member

In message 3 it was noted I do not have any type of security software installed on the new computer.  An excellent suggestion however, and I thank you for your input