Add Product

Search Results:

New Gateway FX6800-01e

I recently purchased this computer and think it's a really tight computer. I'm a web designer and not a gamer and this computer is awesome. I do have a question though, because I'm getting all kindzzzzzzzzzzz of different answers for this one simple question. What kind of RAM can I use to upgrade this machine?  I know it's DDR3 and it comes with 3 gigs but it's expandable up to 16 gigs. The thing that throws me off is the 6 slots inside the computer. They are blue white blue white blue white. There is 1 gig stick in each of the white slots. Different Geek Squad people have told me this is for 3 chanels, one channel being one blue and one white. I've been told this is dual channel where all the blues are one channel and all the whites are one channel. And I've been told this is one channel so each of the slots are independent. Has anyone added additional RAM?  If so, what kind? Where did you purchase?  I was also told by one geek squad guy that anything more than 4 gigs won't be a difference....is that true?  Anyone with insite, please answer so I can upgrade this computer and make it comparative to a NASA system. =)

Thank you in advance.

Topics: 1,115
Kudos: 753
Blog Posts: 0
Solutions: 271

Re: New Gateway FX6800-01e

I dont think Vista 64 will address more then 4gb of ram in a system.
***Please keep in mind that I am not employed by Best Buy and are just a regular forums Super User and an everyday shopper like you. If you find my posting helpful, please add kudos to it. Remember to mark answered questions as solved if something helped you to speed up the answer queue for other customers***
Highlighted
Topics: 1,115
Kudos: 753
Blog Posts: 0
Solutions: 271

Re: New Gateway FX6800-01e

[ Edited ]

lookie what I found : http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa366778.aspx#physical_memory_limits_windows_vista

If youre that convinced it will do you better , read the above link Smiley Happy

Message Edited by hockeycanuckjc on 12-07-2008 09:54 PM
***Please keep in mind that I am not employed by Best Buy and are just a regular forums Super User and an everyday shopper like you. If you find my posting helpful, please add kudos to it. Remember to mark answered questions as solved if something helped you to speed up the answer queue for other customers***