Add Product

Search Results:

New DiscDr not healeing my scratched disc's

I bought a new DiscDr to replace my worn out one. It doesn't work worth a do-do. The old one would actually take the scratches out by sanding down the facing and it would leave very fine straight scratches going from the inside to the outside and the disc would work perfectly. This new one doesn't even leave a mark much less remove any scratches. I guess you could say it just cleans the dust off. The abrasive wheel on the new one seems very soft whereas the old wheel had a slight sandpaper feel. Even the new replacement wheels are soft. I feel like getting some 2000grit sandpaper and glue it on the wheel.

What do you guys recomend?
skeeter
Valued Contributor

Re: New DiscDr not healeing my scratched disc's

What I recommend is storing your discs properly.  Using any type of abrasive disc to clean them is foolish.  It is no trouble to return them to their case when not in use...suggest you get yourself into that habit instead of hoping that a Hail-mary device will cure the problems you created.

If you find my post useful or informative, please click the icon below with the plus sign and star to give kudos. Thank you!
Community Veteran

Those disc repair systems are known for being high-tech snake oil. Unless the disc is damaged in a very specific way, they don't work.
Topics: 1,529
Kudos: 747
Blog Posts: 0
Solutions: 323

When Game Crazy used to be around in my area, you could take in a disc for $3.00 and get it professionally resurfaced. 

***Please keep in mind that I am not employed by Best Buy and are just a regular forums Super User and an everyday shopper like you. If you find my posting helpful, please add kudos to it. Remember to mark answered questions as solved if something helped you to speed up the answer queue for other customers***
Topics: 292
Kudos: 171
Solutions: 81

I have no idea why it doesn't 'shave off' the top layer like it used to. Could it be that existing players are more prone to malfunction with a change in weight of the disc, or something similar? I'm not sure.

What you can do is use Brasso or a variety of other things (furniture polish, in examle) to fix up your discs. Not only is it generally cheaper - it produces better results. You can even use your existing Disc Doctor in conjunction with these materials to save yourself some time.

s.gifI am a Bestbuy employee who volunteers on these boards on my own time. I am not paid for posting here, and you should understand that my opinions are exactly that - opinions. I do not represent Bestbuy in any way.
: Open Mailbox

Nonobaddog,

Sorry i'm not perfect. Those bad habits are hard when managing three kids, one with ADD, and a grandson. However i can say, all of "my" cd's are in great condition. It's the kids cd's i need to repair.

Thanks RedWye3,

I'll try the furniture polish first and if that doesn't work good i'll go out and buy some Brasso. For anyone interested i looked up Brasso on Wikipedia and found the tip for cleaning cd's on it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brasso

skeeter3

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Brasso, rubbing compund, furniture polish, etc are great for *minor* scratches only.  For really badly damaged discs, they won't help either.

I raised 3 kids, with multiple gaming systems and numerous computers.  I taught my kids that a disc goes back in the case immediately when done.  If not, the disc/game/movie was taken away.  They learned *VERY QUICKLY* to take care of the discs, and it didn't take much effort at all.  They just "knew" that if they left a disc just laying around, it wouldn't be there when they came back.  My point still stands...it is far beter to treat the discs properly in the first place than it is to try and repair needless damage after the fact. 

Also, the other solutions are cumulative; if you use furniture polish it will build up and the disc will become unreadable. If you use brasso, rubbing compound, or similar, it will remove a slight layer of the platic coating, and repeate use will eventually remove the layer altogether, and then the disc will be unreadable.  There is nothing that will return the disc to it's natural state and replace lost polycarbonate. 

If you find my post useful or informative, please click the icon below with the plus sign and star to give kudos. Thank you!
Topics: 329
Kudos: 148
Solutions: 606

Theres no need to imply that someone did something wrong because their discs are scratched sheesh. I have old ones that are scratched to pieces and the older disc doctor fixed them enough for me to burn copies and toss old ones. I have had decent luck with things like furniture polish too but just enough to burn a copy and toss the old one.

Crystal
Superuser
Forum Guidelines | Terms & Conditions | Community Guidelines | What is a Superuser?
*Remember to mark your questions solved and click the star to give kudos to show your thanks!*
While I used to be a Best Buy Employee, I no longer have any affiliation with Best Buy.
My opinions do not in any way shape or form represent Best Buy's Official decisions.
Topics: 1,529
Kudos: 747
Solutions: 323

Model: 3720-01 | SKU: 9235776

Locate your discs easily with this compact storage case that organizes up to 100 CDs or DVDs and features one-touch index trays for easy disc retrieval.

Sale: $49.99

I think everyone should invest in one of these. They are a perfect way to organize your discs without them getting banged up. The storage unit can be set in a place where the kids cannot reach it. And its easy to pick the disc you want. You organize it the way you want, label the chart, and then your movies are organized. 

***Please keep in mind that I am not employed by Best Buy and are just a regular forums Super User and an everyday shopper like you. If you find my posting helpful, please add kudos to it. Remember to mark answered questions as solved if something helped you to speed up the answer queue for other customers***
Valued Contributor

My point was it is better to protect your investment than to treat it like it is worthless.  Any of the various disc repair options actually remove part of the surfacr of a disc, and there is only so much of this that can be tolerated before the disc is rendered completely useless. It is far better to simply return the discs to their cases when done, and does not take any exhorbitant amount of effort.  Making copies is an option, and hiding the originals once the copies are made.  Many discs will not copy due to copy prevention, and breaking the prevention is technically illegal, even if it is for private use only.  You can make copies, according to Digital Media Copyright Act, you just can't circumvent any copy protection to do so (a stupid owrded law if ever there was one). 

You suggestion for a filing cabinet is a good idea, but it would take more effort to keep it organized.  I still maintan that simply putting the discs back in their jewel case when not in use is the best option.  Disc do not spontaneously sprout scratches...so it was obvious that the discs were just lying around when not in use, rubbing against each other and whatever surface they are on, getting scratched in the process.  Even if a Disc DR could repair the damage, there is only a very limitied number of times it can do this.  The car polish/rubbing compound is good for one repair, then after that it creates a less than optically clear coating which causes as much error on disc read as would the scratches. 

In short, treat the discs properly and you wont have to worry about "repairing" them. It makes so much more sense!