Add Product

Search Results:

Highlighted

Need new laptops for my kids

I need two laptops. 1st needs to handle homeschool needs and give ability to play minecraft, YouTube, and/or Netflix. 2nd needs to handle basic school needs but he wants to do some online gaming (specifically Arma3 or Dayz type stuff). I can do up to 800 total for both. Please help
Highlighted
Emerging Expert

Re: Need new laptops for my kids

Computer hardware requirements for homework, minecraft, YouTube and/or Netflix are genererally fairly low. So you won't need to look at anything to expensive.

I would take a good look at the HP, Toshiba or Dell laptops in that price range.  I have had all three brands and have had good luck with each of them.

Toshiba 

• Model: C55D-C5106
  • SKU: 4834100

Dell

• Model: I3558-9136BLK
  • SKU: 4815400

HP

• Model: 15-ac151dx
  • SKU: 4793701

Three good solid machines that should fit the needs of your children.

However as far as the games like Arma3, the sytem requirments for that particular game do ask for a dedicated graphics card, while not a high end card is still more powerful that the integrated graphcis that come with these computers.

It should still be able run those games but you may have to lower the grapics quality for smoother game play.

Please leave Kudo’s if you like a post or click Accept as Solution if a post answers your query. I am not an employee of Best Buy and all opinions left on this forum are my own.
Highlighted

Thanks for reply! What would be acceptable graphics card for the games? It's for his 16th and I'd like to do as best I can for him
Highlighted
Emerging Expert

The card is kind of the crux.  The requirements for the graphics card (sometimes referred to as GPU) are pretty low.

The suggest a minumum of a NVIDIA (manufacturer) GTX 260 or ATI Radeon HD 5770 or faster. 

You will see graphics described in a number of ways.  Common terms used are Discrete and Integrated.  Integrated means the graphics are built into the processor/motherboard iteself.  It is low power consumption grahics that is sufficient for everything but moderate to higher end gaming.  Minecraft will work fine on integrated grapics, as well as many web based games.  

Discrete graphics (also referenced as Dedicated) generally means the computer has a separate (i.e. dedicated) component in the computer thats only funciton is to hand graphics.  High end grapics can use of a lot of a computers resources and require a lot of processing power.  Now the Arma3 has lower requirments but your son may want to branch out into other games.  

So what you would look for on the Best Buy site would be the two filters that will separate out the comptuers with dedicated grapics.  

Gaming Series (Under Collections)

or

Discrete (Under Graphics Type)

Generallly most Gaming Series computers will have dedicated graphics, but not always and I personally do not think they should be listed as Gaming Series if they are working on integrated grapics.

The distintion between the two is the Gaming Series will have more RAM, larger/faster hard drives, faster processors and consequently generally more expensive.

For your purposes however, the computers that are not gaming but have discrete grapics should suit your needs.

Example look for the HP 

• Model: 15-an051dx
  • SKU: 4563805

It has a GTX 940m graphics card that a few years ago would have made a gamer drool.  This one runs around $900

The next step down in an HP is 

• Model: 15-an050nr
  • SKU: 4595160

However, it is listed as a gaming computer but has integrated grapics.  So you need to look at the specifications.

My last 2 gaming laptops have been MSI and I am pretty certain my next gaming Laptop is again going to be an MSI.

I have been very happy with the brand.  I have also been very happy with my Dell Laptops.  

Please leave Kudo’s if you like a post or click Accept as Solution if a post answers your query. I am not an employee of Best Buy and all opinions left on this forum are my own.
Highlighted

Thanks so much!! Very informative
Highlighted
Emerging Expert

I should also like to mention the Best Buy credit card.  Normally on a purchase over a certain dollar value you can get 12 months interest free to pay it off.  However, be carefull to have it paid off before 12 months or you are charged interest from day one.  

Also, they offer a protection plan.  This is not an extended warrently but more of a protection against damage and hardware failure.  The accidental protection plan is not a bad deal for portable electronics.  I have it on my phone and my laptop.  My wife didn't want to pay for it on her iPhone.  Now she has a badly cracked screen and 5 months yet until her upgrade is available. 

Also, if you don't have it you should sign up for a Free My Best Buy account.  This will give you reward points from purchases.  They won't flood you with junk email either.  You will get several emials a months regarding specials and discounts but it is no onerous. 

Highlighted
Topics: 164
Kudos: 178
Blog Posts: 0
Ideas: 54
Solutions: 33

I wanted to kind of actually put my own suggestions in as well for the gaming laptop. I'd stay away from any laptop which is going to have heavy gameplay on it that has a fan on the side.

I know for a fact Toshiba laptops a lot of them are on the side. Look at some of the HP ones they generally have fans either in the center or one on top and one on the bottom somewhere. With gaming your cpu and gpu is going to be running hot and you need good cooling.

What you can also assess alternatively is AMD vs Nivisida GPU.. Generally speaking, AMD seems to not run as hot as Nividia based GPU's.

I may not always know the right answer, but I will always tell you what I do know. I also do free computer analysis and consultation via private message.
Highlighted
Vendor Participant

@Yeehawtink, thank you for your inquiry and also thanks to @ for the HP recommendations.  I agree with you that his feedback has been very informative.

Priscilla, HP Social Media Ambassador