Add Product

Search Results:

Accepted Solution

NETGEAR N600 3400 ROUTER NEEDS MODEM?

I bought a netgear n600 3400 from Best Buy online in the ad it didnt mention i needed a modem so im confused when i set it up. my sonis telling me its saying it needs a modem . If I do need a modem what modem do i need? Thank you!

Rafiano1

Valued Contributor

Re: NETGEAR N600 3400 ROUTER NEEDS MODEM?

You first need internet service from an internet service provider.  They will provide you iwth the required modem.

If you find my post useful or informative, please click the icon below with the plus sign and star to give kudos. Thank you!

We do have internet service and we changed from a twowire at&t router that has a built in modem to the netgear n600 3400 which is dual core. I'm asking whether the Netgear has a built in modem or if i have to buy a modem for it?

Valued Contributor

You need to get a Netgear router with built-in DSL. They have a few models to choose from.

The router the Netgear N600 3400 is a brand new router and per what i was told it was an upgrade from the Two Wire Router from AT&T. ALL i'M ASKING IS WHETHER I NEED A MODEM WITH THIS ROUTER OR NOT AND WHATS THE BEST MODEM IF SO IS NEEDED? I dont want to go back to Best Buy and buy another one (what will i do with three routers) i just need to know about this. Thanks

Trusted Contributor

@Rafiano1 wrote:

The router the Netgear N600 3400 is a brand new router and per what i was told it was an upgrade from the Two Wire Router from AT&T. ALL i'M ASKING IS WHETHER I NEED A MODEM WITH THIS ROUTER OR NOT AND WHATS THE BEST MODEM IF SO IS NEEDED? I dont want to go back to Best Buy and buy another one (what will i do with three routers) i just need to know about this. Thanks

You do need a modem.  Note that, in general, separate router and modem is the best way to go.

I suggest contacting AT&T to get a standalone modem.

Unfortunately, based on some things I've seen, AT&T forces you to use the 2Wire integrated modem/router - which is bad because it's a buggy piece of junk.  (It's the cause of a number of battery drain problems for some Android devices connected to its network.)

------------------
*disclaimer* I am not now, nor have I ever been, an employee of Best Buy, Geek Squad, nor of any of their affiliate, parent, or subsidiary companies.
Valued Contributor

@Rafiano1 wrote:

You would have to have a separate modem with that router. There is a Netgear DSL modem that you can get at Best Buy, but setting that up requires more knowledge than you have so you would have to call AT&T to come out and set it up for you.

Spoiler
the absolute best way is to have the home networking made simple program..A geek squad agent will go to your home and if you have the correct router and modem the agent can set up your network and also give you instruction on how to properly use the network and all devices connected to it..But yes if you have a dsl provider then you will need a dsl modem. Your local best buy has knowledgeable sales associates who can help you..Good luck friend!

Valued Contributor

You could use the netgear router with the 2wire modem/router. You just need to turn off the 2wires wireless totally and hook the netgear up to one of the ports on the 2wire. Then you have to set that port up to it in a DMZ zone. How a friend of mine set up his Uverse internet. Wanted "n" speeds which the 2wire is only "g". Also wanted a router that has better range. Just have to make sure the 2wires wireless is shut down. But you still have to plug your tv boxes directly to the 2wire with uverse. For some reason the Uverse tv boxes dont work right hooked up to a switch or other router.

You need modem for your netgear router n600 3400. But it depends upon your internet service provider which modem they provide you.