Add Product

Search Results:

Moniter screen going black

I have a 17" MAG Flat panel monitor that is about two years old. As of a week ago its started to flicker every once in a while and now the screen is starting to go black.

I have to turn it off and on a few times to get it to work. I have no idea whats wrong with it much less if it can be fixed or it would be just best to get a new one.

Re: Moniter screen going black

It could mean that there's something wrong with your computer causing it to black out or crash. But in this case it seems like it's the monitor itself. Make sure all the plugs are plugged in right and are not loose. LCD monitors usually don't go bad that fast, but in any case, monitors are kinda cheap these days so getting a new one would be a better choice. Having a busted monitor is a great excuse to just get a bigger and nicer monitor. haha... go with an 19" or 21"+... it'll change your life.
Topics: 114
Kudos: 61
Solutions: 17

Hi ClockworkKnight,

Sorry that your monitor is not working as you expect.  I have seen this problem many times and usually it is caused by a backlight going out.  This can certainly happen within two years, based on usage.  What is a backlight, you ask? I use the analogy of a fish aquarium in a dark room.  When you turn on the light you can see the fish.  LCD (liquid crystal display) screens are similar in that they require light shining on the crystals to make them viewable.  This backlight is often part of the LCD screen and therefore not easy or economical to replace.  MAG may offer a two year warranty on some models so it might be helpful to take the monitor to the nearest Best Buy® with proof of purchase. Otherwise, you may also contact MAG directly. If you are outside of warranty then buying a new monitor is your best option.

Matthew|Community Advocate | Best Buy® CorporateVisit our Channel on

I've tried contacting MAG about it but their website is not working and I keep getting the run around on the phone with them.

It was fine for a little while now its started to flicker again. >.< All the plugs and cables seem to be fine so it has to be the monitor.

I don't have the original receipts or anything, those got lose a while back so I wont be able to take it back of anything .

The monitor gets left on a lot when its not being used which I imagine is not really good for it and it probably the reason why its starting to flicker in the first place. 

I'm thinking about getting the Emachines LCD monitor since its going to be pretty much the only one I’m going to be able to afford. I don’t want to . How do I avoid replacing the new one once I get it from the same problem