Add Product

Search Results:

Intermittent sound - Gateway and Vista

Thanks hockeycanuckjc for the dvd help.  Another Gateway/Vista problem: sound is intermittent - most of the time it's "red x'd" but let the computer sleep a few times and it's green and there is sound.  Sometimes sound starts green, goes back and forth a few times between green and red and then no sound.  Any thoughts?
Topics: 1,116
Kudos: 753
Blog Posts: 0
Solutions: 271

Re: Intermittent sound - Gateway and Vista

What is the name of your sound card? When you move your mouse icon to the speaker icon , what does it say?
***Please keep in mind that I am not employed by Best Buy and are just a regular forums Super User and an everyday shopper like you. If you find my posting helpful, please add kudos to it. Remember to mark answered questions as solved if something helped you to speed up the answer queue for other customers***

I'll have to wait until sound comes back - right now just says no audio ouput device is installed (but magically, later there will be an audio output device).  Vista problem?
Topics: 1,116
Kudos: 753
Blog Posts: 0
Solutions: 271

Do you have the disc for your drivers? Do you know how to operate your recovery solution? If you have the disc or know how to reinstall drivers, click on the start button, under where it says "Start Search" type in "Device Manager" and press Enter. The Windows User Account Control will make you confirm your action. Once you are in the device manager, Click the + next to Sound, video and game controllers. Right click your sound card and select uninstall, and then reboot your computer. Once you are done rebooting, reinstall your sound card and you should be taking care of the issue. If this does not help, the audio on the motherboard might be going out.

***Please keep in mind that I am not employed by Best Buy and are just a regular forums Super User and an everyday shopper like you. If you find my posting helpful, please add kudos to it. Remember to mark answered questions as solved if something helped you to speed up the answer queue for other customers***

Thanks.  Couldn't use a disk until the E drive returned.  The card is 2 SigmaTel Hi Def Audio codec.  Will give your suggestion a try.