Add Product

Search Results:

Topics: 1,116
Kudos: 753
Blog Posts: 0
Solutions: 271

Important Bios Update available for Emachines Slim EL1200-01e Tower!

Please note, the advice given below is not to be performed by users who have a insufficient knowledge of upgrading the BIOS on the motherboard.  

This evening, EMachines has posted a important BIOS update for the EL1200-01e.

Apparently there were some issues where USB devices would more then occasionally hang the system on boot, or otherwise.

It also solves a critical issue if one wanted to actually upgrade the computer to Windows Vista it would not run setup because of the USB issue above hanging and freezing the setup (wouldnt display setup, the screen would go completely black after setup)

I was able to properly run Vista Business SP1 from the disc I got from MSNDAA without workarounds as I mentioned in a previous thread.

(IF YOU BOUGHT A TOWER OF THE SAME NAME WITH WINDOWS VISTA ALREADY INSTALLED, YOU DO NOT NEED THIS UPDATE)

Here is the problem with eMachines posting this BIOS.

There was no real instructions on how to update it. It came with a folder. Inside the folder were DOS executables and a bin file. Inside was another folder called WINFLASH.

You will need to go into the WinFlash Folder and Execute the Winflash program. Then you click File, Update, and then browse to the folder where the .BIN file is and choose that for update. It will warn you to close programs before updating. Once you do and start the update , it takes 3 to 4 minutes to fully reprogram the bios. Do not unplug anything or press any keys during this update or you risk the chance of rendering your computer into a paperweight.

***Please keep in mind that I am not employed by Best Buy and are just a regular forums Super User and an everyday shopper like you. If you find my posting helpful, please add kudos to it. Remember to mark answered questions as solved if something helped you to speed up the answer queue for other customers***
Highlighted
Topics: 1,116
Kudos: 753
Blog Posts: 0
Solutions: 271

Re: Important Bios Update available for Emachines Slim EL1200-01e Tower!

UPDATE:

It appears EMachines pulled the update off their website. I grabbed it before they took it off at midnight PST, but do not know why they would pull it. Maybe they are going back and adding instructions for the BIOS.

I am not noticing any problems, so thats a good thing.

***Please keep in mind that I am not employed by Best Buy and are just a regular forums Super User and an everyday shopper like you. If you find my posting helpful, please add kudos to it. Remember to mark answered questions as solved if something helped you to speed up the answer queue for other customers***