Add Product

Search Results:

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

INSIGNIA FLEX 8 NS-15AT08 (moving apps to sd)

My apologizes if this has been brought up before, but I'm having a hard time figuring this out. I recently bought the Insignia flex 8 NS-15AT08 tablet running KitKat 4.4.2 for my kid. Good tablet but huge downside, NO OPTION to move apps to sd card! This tablet has limited internal storage space so I bought an sd card to manage space. The tablet reads the card fine but there is no option to move apps to sd. I tried many "apps to SD" apps to try to get around this. Nothing worked. I thought about returning this tablet but that is no longer an option. Is there any possible way to move apps to the sd card? If there isnt, will there be some sort of update fix for this? Any help would be appreciated :-(
Visitor

Re: INSIGNIA FLEX 8 NS-15AT08 (moving apps to sd)

Hello spitefulsiren,

Welcome to Community@ Insignia™!

This is a fairly common question. The ability to transfer Apps to the memory card is going to depend on the App Developer specifications. Unfortunately this is going to be dependent on both the rules of who wrote the apps, and the security designs in the OS version you are using.

Regards,
Jon
Insignia™ Support

To my knowledge, android devices which have the capability to move apps to the sd card have the options shown on the app info settings (move to sd card/move to phone). For apps that cannot be moved to sd, the option is still shown but it is grayed out. The option is non existant on this tablet, which is disapointing as even very low end beginer androids have to option to move to sd. I guess it has to do with the way to OS for this device was configured, will there be an update to fix this issue? I notice others experiancing the same issue :-/

Visitor

Hello spitefulsiren,

Thank you for responding!

The options you are referencing are based off of the features built into the OS. At this point the questions you are asking are Android based, and not something I have full information on. There are plenty of people that have issue with the way Google is setting up their SD card security, but whether there are any fixes in process is up in the air.

Regards,
Jon
Insignia™ Support

Ok. Thank you for taking the time to reply :-/ (forgive my earlier typos)

Visitor

Hello spitefulsiren,

Thank you for responding!

I do wish I had a better answer than I dont know. The issue that Google is trying to correct is security issues with apps accessing, changing, or deleting things they shouldn't be. Problem being their fix is somewhat restrictive. I'm hoping they will free up some of the restrictions, but I have not seen anything to show either way as yet. At this time we provide the hardware, and in order to be certified have to meet all their bells and whistles for criteria.

Regards,
Jon
Insignia™ Support

It seems you're right Jon, I thought it was a bug within the tablet but I also took time to look into it, it's an issue on this current version of android, Google adding new restrictions as you mentioned etc... I since found a way around this which I won't disclose here.. Thanks for patiently responding, good customer service :-)
Visitor

Hey, Spitefulsiren, I am having the same issue with the flex tablet I just bought for my daughters. I don't know how to fix it, but it is a deal breaker.. They have to have space for their games. Can you tell me how to be able to save to the sd card?? I couldn't believe it when I saw that restriction. I know people are saying there are problems with the version of android, but I don't see why a ton of others aren't having the problem. These are nice little tablets, but that's a HUGE downer!

Visitor

Hello abscott,

Welcome to Community@ Insignia™!

Unfortunately the "fix" he's speaking of is not something that can be posted to this forum. It includes "Rooting" the Operating System on the tablet, which will void the warranty and is not something that Insignia can support, etc.

Regards,
Jon
Insignia™ Support

Yes exactly right (which is why I won't discuss it any further on this forum)↑... Hopefully Google will add this feature back on a future update :-). & In case you were referring to me, I'm a "she", not a "he" lol