Add Product

Search Results:

I need help finding a good PC under $500!

I'm looking for a PC that will run WoW with at least 30 fps on Good. I'd also like to upgrade it with a graphics card thats around $100.

Thanks in advance Smiley Happy

Re: I need help finding a good PC under $500!

Well, this Asus desktop would be a good start. It has a dual-core Athlon in it and it's not slow at all. It runs at 2.8GHz, which should be fast enough to run WoW at reasonable settings. If you want to add a video card, I would suggest throwing in this PNY nVidia 9800 GT. It's behind current technology by about four generations though, so if you feel comfortable buying from an alternative vendor, I would go with Sparkle's nVidia GTS 450 at the same price point. That is considerably faster and will run more current games at it is current generation (barring the 500 series has not yet released reasonable 500 serties GT cards.)  

-------------------
The views expressed in this post are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of Best Buy's. But you can expect them to make you chuckle.
PCHO Sales Representative - Tualatin, Oregon.
Valued Contributor

I would like to add that the ATI 48xx series of cards are faster than the 450 series from nVidia, and have better drivers.  ATI/AMD optimizes their drivers for current games, and provided profiles for them.  In addition, the ATI overdrive tool is usefull in getting even better performance from the GPU and CPU.

If you find my post useful or informative, please click the icon below with the plus sign and star to give kudos. Thank you!

The 4800 series is alright. However he is playing WoW, and Nvidia is most optimized there. In addition, nTune is a great tool. Add onto that the Fermi is DX11 native instead of 10.1, it will carry him farther into the future than the ATI remixed 4800 series which will leave him behind. Better to futureproof than to get a 5-10% FPS increase now.
-------------------
The views expressed in this post are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of Best Buy's. But you can expect them to make you chuckle.
Valued Contributor

The 4800 series is DX11. I have two computers with 4800s in them. They get higher frame rates with the latest Catalysts than my son's nVidia card.
If you find my post useful or informative, please click the icon below with the plus sign and star to give kudos. Thank you!

@NoNoBadDog wrote:
The 4800 series is DX11. I have two computers with 4800s in them. They get higher frame rates with the latest Catalysts than my son's nVidia card.

Right off ATI's website:

ATI Radeon™ HD 4890 Graphics Specifications 

• 956 million transistors on 55nm fabrication process
  • PCI Express 2.0 x16 bus interface
  • 256-bit GDDR5 memory interface
  • Microsoft® DirectX® 10.1 support
    • Shader Model 4.1
    • 32-bit floating point texture filtering
    • Indexed cube map arrays
    • Independent blend modes per render target
    • Pixel coverage sample masking
    • Read/write multi-sample surfaces with shaders
    • Gather4 texture fetching
-------------------