Add Product

Search Results:

Help me please!!!

Ok so my laptop was no longer holding a charge so I bought a new battery and ac adapter and it's still not charging properly..I have to hold the adapter cord a certain way for it to kinda charge. What should I do? I know I bought the right products bc an expert assisted me..any info would be great! thanks
Valued Contributor

Re: Help me please!!!

It sounds like the power module (usually soldered to the motherboard) is going bad. Some laptps have a power module that just plugs into the motherboard. The majority of the time you will need a new motherboard.
**If you like my answer then click the little Star under my username.
**If my response answered your question then click the Solved button. Thanks

ok so what do i do now? buy a new latop? i have no idea how much motherboards are?! thanks 4 helping me out!!
Valued Contributor

You're welcome.

How old is the laptop?

Buying a new one depends on how old your laptop is?

It would be too costly to have a new motherboard installed into a older laptop.

It's about 7-8 years old..It's a HP Windows XP. ..Not sure what i should do...If you were me what would you do? I  have no idea as to how much motherboards cost and all of that. Thanks so much
Valued Contributor

wow! 7-8 years old? You got your moneys worth out of it. It's time for a new laptop.

aww i was afraid of that!! Well, THANK YOU so much for all of the help and info!! =)
Topics: 648
Kudos: 503
Solutions: 315

I'm going to just agree with the above. 7-8 years life out of ANY electronic is remarkable so you did definitely get your money out of it. As far as repairing a 7-8 year old laptop, entirely not worth it. Repairing a 7-8 year old laptop would most likely cost you in the hundreds as parts that old will be fairly hard to find. Whereas you can buy a new laptop starting at around $500.... plus... It'll be a major upgrade. Smiley Happy

If you like my post, or solution to your issue/question, go ahead and click on the little star by my name and/or accept the post as the Solution. It makes me happy.

I'm NOT an employee of Best Buy, or Geek Squad, though I did work as an Agent for a year 5 years ago. None of my posts are to be taken as the official stance that Best Buy will take on your situation. My advice is just that, advice.
Unfortunately, that's the bad luck of any electronic, there's going to be bad Apples... wait that's a horrible pun.

I kind of have to disagree with the 7-8 year thing, I still have a P3-500 laptop

running strong...slow, but strong. But otherwise, yeah buy a new laptop. I'm having

some issues with my 2 yo HP and the motherboard for it is around $350 just for the part.

Topics: 648
Kudos: 503
Solutions: 315

Don't get me wrong, if it's old and it still works, by all means power to you.  But the potential price to repair something like that would simply not outweigh the benefits of simply buying a new machine. Say it's just the pin that needs resoldered. Relatively cheap compared to the new motherboard, however, you'd still end up paying upwards of $200-$300 for shipping, labor, and parts. When... again you buy a low-mid level laptop for $500-600.

If you like my post, or solution to your issue/question, go ahead and click on the little star by my name and/or accept the post as the Solution. It makes me happy.

I'm NOT an employee of Best Buy, or Geek Squad, though I did work as an Agent for a year 5 years ago. None of my posts are to be taken as the official stance that Best Buy will take on your situation. My advice is just that, advice.
Unfortunately, that's the bad luck of any electronic, there's going to be bad Apples... wait that's a horrible pun.