Add Product

Search Results:

Help! Ive Gotten Coke-a-cola On my keyboard?

Saturday night I was opening a Dr.Pepper and it blew up on the keyboard. The are alot of keys that are sticking and my mom is really upset at me! what should i do to gre it out?

Please Help.

Topics: 1,530
Kudos: 748
Blog Posts: 0
Solutions: 323

Re: Help! Ive Gotten Coke-a-cola On my keyboard?

I can feel the same pain as you since I totaled my Acer Aspire One by achieving a party foul with beer on the laptop Smiley Sad ( had to pay for replacement out of pocket)

The bad news is that your keyboard is totaled. The good news is that they are inexpensive to replace and just about any keyboard will work (Providing the motherboard has a Green mouse input and a Purple Keyboard input)

Go to a cheap store and buy a replacement keyboard for about $10. Mother will be happy. Unless of course she grew accustomed to that "special" keyboard and youre really going to get it Smiley Wink 

***Please keep in mind that I am not employed by Best Buy and are just a regular forums Super User and an everyday shopper like you. If you find my posting helpful, please add kudos to it. Remember to mark answered questions as solved if something helped you to speed up the answer queue for other customers***

Re: Help! Eve Gotten Coke-a-cola On my keyboard?

Here's something you can try - if it's toast as the previous response said, this couldn't hurt.  It worked with the old style keyboards. Get a pan large enough to hold the keyboard.  Fill it with water, and soak the keyboard overnight.  Let the keyboard air dry for a few days (shake out all the water you can of course)and then try it.  The innards of the keyboard are electronic and plastic, so water won't hurt them at all, just be sure your dry it thoroughly before plugging  it into the computer. 
Topics: 1,530
Kudos: 748
Blog Posts: 0
Solutions: 323

Re: Help! Eve Gotten Coke-a-cola On my keyboard?

Do this at your own risk........
***Please keep in mind that I am not employed by Best Buy and are just a regular forums Super User and an everyday shopper like you. If you find my posting helpful, please add kudos to it. Remember to mark answered questions as solved if something helped you to speed up the answer queue for other customers***
Contributor

@hockeycanuckjc wrote:

I can feel the same pain as you since I totaled my Acer Aspire One by achieving a party foul with beer on the laptop Smiley Sad ( had to pay for replacement out of pocket)

The bad news is that your keyboard is totaled. The good news is that they are inexpensive to replace and just about any keyboard will work (Providing the motherboard has a Green mouse input and a Purple Keyboard input)

Go to a cheap store and buy a replacement keyboard for about $10. Mother will be happy. Unless of course she grew accustomed to that "special" keyboard and youre really going to get it Smiley Wink 

This made me laugh, LOL

I wouldn't suggest the whole putting a keyboard into a pan of water, the thought of water and electronics just doesnt seem to work.

Second, if it is a laptop hard drive, you might be looking at a different story all together.

Recognized Member

[ Edited ]

@JazzCullen wrote:

Saturday night I was opening a Dr.Pepper and it blew up on the keyboard. The are alot of keys that are sticking and my mom is really upset at me! what should i do to gre it out?

Please Help.

Your not talking about laptop keyboard, are you? If not, that is easy..clean it up. pry the keys out, just remember where to stick them back...then clean it, you can use  ear buds, paper towel etc. moistened with water or alcohol will suffice. If soda has soaked thru inner part of keyboard, unscrew and open the keyboard..and keep on cleaning.....it will probably save you couple of dollars replacing it.
Message Edited by inutel on 01-03-2009 06:17 PM

Inutel is right.  If this is the regular "desktop" type keyboard and nothing particularly extravagant about it, the keys just pry right out with gentle pressure.  You will be amazed at what little is under there.  I generally use Q-tips and alcohol.  You won't run into anything horribly difficult until you get to the electronics...then you just need to be gentle and wary of what you touch.  Keyboards are generally pretty good at taking a beating.  I take mine apart all the time to clean it.  Just don't force anything if it doesn't feel right.