Add Product

Search Results:

Accepted Solution

HP ZD8000 laptop question - need IT help

so i found this beast of a laptop for sale locally and i would really love to purchase it after googling the specs for it. Most important spec on it to me is the processor:

3.4GHz Intel Pentium 4 650 w/Hyper Thread Technology

i have been looking for a pc like this for a while, that isn't going to break the bank like say an alienware.

anywho, the guy is selling it for a steal of a deal. I researched the value trade in of it on bestbuy in the cond it is in, and it came up over 3x the price of what he is asking for it. I'd be better off keeping it seeing as how these days the pc's that are out aren't even better then the current asus laptop i'm on right now...

well, here's the question... the downside to this beautiful deal is that the laptop while complete, has 2 issues. It won't do nothing on a battery, so maybe the battery is dead. no prob - easy fix.

but the major issue is this: when plugged in and turned on, the power and charging light will go on, but then the pc will turn off when you turn it on. the guy hasn't taken it to a tech, and he is selling it for a real cheap price. i don't think he realizes the value of his pc... which is why i really want to snatch it up.

but what i want to know is what the problem could be exactly, and how much it's going to cost me to fix it? is it worth my while to even invest and buy this and take it to a tech to fix it?

i have a feeling that the issue is either something internal - maybe something is loose or dusty, or maybe it's a bad virus. i do know that the hard drive was wiped and reformatted and am told by him that the hard drive is fine.. but that power issue is what's going on.

plz let me know if this is worth the investment. i really want to take it if i can have it fixed and working for me.

email me: SPCKryptonite@gmail.com

put zd8000 in subject line or something of the like so i don't delete your reply

thx for looking

Re: HP ZD8000 laptop question - need IT help

1Life: I own this laptop (ZD8000); bought it in 2005.  Have never been sorry.  The laptop is still working very well and I am strongly considering updating the OS to Win7 because I tested it via Win7 Release Candidate and it worked fine.  Currently, the OS is WinXP MCE 2005. I did install more ram.

BUT, I, too, am having power problems once in a while.  Not sure if I am having the same problem you described, though.  When I turn the laptop on I must push the power button exactly right (not too hard but firmly and not too long) or it will not power up completely or it shuts down. If this situation continues or gets worse, I will definitely have it looked at by a professional because this laptop is worth it. 

My batteries still work, but not more than 50 minutes or so--I believe it is the age of the batteries rather than the laptop.  I use the laptop with a HP docking station on a/c most of the time.

To quote a BestBuy clerk back in 2005--"The ZD8000 is a work horse."

jkglad: thx for letting me know. The zd8000 looks like a super pc. watched a review of it on cnet.

correction on the issue, the guy says: it does nothing on battery, but when plugged in shows charging and power light.

--------------------------------------------

i'm not even sure if he has even turned the thing on. the hard drive is removed, but i know that can be placed back in. he was running xp home on it.

i'm not interested in upgrading the OS cuz the music software i use to produce my music can't run on Vista or 7. Highest it will run on is XP.

my friends tell me that i shouldn't invest in this. they say it could be a bad motherboard, or something could be melted on the inside or fried... they tell me there is a reason he is asking so little for it and wanting to offload it. He started asking at $75 or trade. now he is down to $50 or trade. i don't know what he wants in trade. but $50 on this beast of a pc, yeah w/ some issues, i like to think that it's worth the $50 to try and find out.

jkglad, the power button issue you speak of on your zd, i wonder if that is characteristic of all HP laptop models... i had a custom built DV series HP a few yrs back... i remember that that laptop would get really hot w/o a cooling pad, and it would shut down if it got too hot. also would stop playing unreal tournament (newest one) after about 30 min - 1.5 hrs of gaming - don't know why - had gfx on bare min specs...

but i do remember that my DV also had some power button issues as the yrs passed. i owned it for about 3-4 yrs before i sold it. it was still in great cond, but like i said before, that Unreal tourney issue was still happening, and only with that game, not other ones i gamed on it. but i remember the pwr button on it did the same thing you're talking about w/ your zd. Sometimes i would be holding it down for what seemed like an eternity before it would even come on.

so i wonder if the HP pwr buttons are like that with other models besides zd and dv series.

well i don't go on battery too much anymore, unless i was on a plane, however cnet said you wouldn't want to use this on a plane due to huge screen size and 9 lb weight of the pc... i've been there and done that w/ my big laptops in the past - the hp dv, some compaq's and toshiba's i've owned, and incl the asus i use now.

i almost always be powered in somewhere.

how is the wireless in this thing? if i get this, i will take it to a tech and see what is wrong and also if i can throw in some upgrades. i would love it to have a burner in it. maybe a bigger hard drive, and you can never go wrong w/ more RAM either.

My model # for the ZD8000 is PF456AV and some of the specs are as follows: CPU is Intel Petrium4 630 w/HT and 3.0Ghz; Ram. I believe, is maxed at 2 gigs (DDR2 SDRAM, 533 Mhz); wireless adapter is Broadcom 802.11 b/g (and has Bluetooth) and does have a DVD+/- RW/R and CD combo with Double Layer Support drive. (The TV tuner is an external one, but still doing well.)  The HD is 100Gigs (4200 RPM). 

I have never had a problem with the wireless adapter but haven't tested it any further than home network routers 50 to 60 feet away (currently, Linksys WRT54G2).

My ZD8000 has so many connections which I really like.  Had it connected to a LCD tv with its VGA connection and audio through its headphone connection for about a year and it has a media card reader, too, for about 3 common formats.

With its docking station it is like having another desktop with the option of portability when I have needed it.

Hope I don't sound like a sales person, because I am not.  I am a retired woman who is really nuts about computers and anything techy. I saw your message about the ZD8000 and felt compelled to reply.  I have been absolutely amazed that my laptop has survived so well.  I admit, though, I handle my pcs carefully.

I will be curious to know if you decide to get it or not.  My model may be really different than the one you are considering.  Good luck.

i've never really liked docking stations for pc's - never really saw the point of having one. i'm ex-mil (army) and i worked in the IT field for the mil, and also worked in the IT field before being in the mil, but i remember always having to work on the mil's pc's and laptops - the mil loves their docking stations... i hate them because they were always hard for me to remove the laptop from them then put them back in... but i never understood what the function really was of one other then making the laptop heavier then it is.

i dunno i guess i just prefer my cooling pad underneath the pc.. i think i am going to get it though from this guy. worst case scenario, it could be a bad motherboard... i hope it's not that - but that is worst case, and also the most expensive issue too..

but i think of it this way, i say it's worth the investment, because of the specs.. and if i have to spend a couple hundred to fix it, it's still not a couple grand or more i would of had to spend on an alienware w/ specs like these.. i just hope it is a simple problem.

Valued Contributor

You would be pretty stupid to buy that laptop. Given it's age, the paltry specs, and the obvious electrical short it has, it's not worth even considering. You couldn't play any games on it, it uses up a lot of power, makes tons of heat, and you likely couldn't get parts for it to fix it. A motherboard replacement for a laptop that old is not likely to be found nor would it be cheap to get it done through HP if parts are available. You should look at other options.

well i guess i am pretty stupid or else just want a challenge to tinker with... this zd wouldn't be my main pc... i don't care if it can play games... i already have a gaming laptop.

and thx for your input.. it's the reason i posted this thread.

fyi, i just googled parts for this pc and found lots - good prices too - some dirt cheap.

also found both working/broken ones for sale up there.

all is not lost

well, i did just google the worst case scenario of what i may have to replace - the motherboard. did find one on amazon for $375 (s&h incl in price). was expecting it to be somewhat lower in price. i don't know even if the problem of his laptop is this, but if it turns out to be a motherboard, i don't think i will even consider getting this laptop now... not worth it... only way i'd take it is if it was free, i think..

the working models on ebay are going for as much as $350 and less.. and if it has heat issues and may be bound to happen as i have read some more reviews tonight, i could be replacing motherboards maybe more then once...

i think i am going to keep my money and just look at other options...