Add Product

Search Results:

HP TX2500 overheating/fan problem

Hello,

I have the HP Pavillion TX2500 tablet/touchscreen laptop, model: tx2525nr and lately it was be overheating A LOT! It has been overheating to the point that can't put it on my lap like a "laptop" should be able to. Also, the fan is extremely loud. Since my tablet is overheating, even the right side of the keyboard/keys start to get really hot and man i feel like it is going to explode one of these days. Also, the battery life is really bad now. Normally it would last be about 2 hours (yeah i know, it sucks), and now it dies in about 1 hr and that's just having wifi on, low brightness, and working on microsoft word. I am a full time student and basically i use this to take notes in class and for music. No games or anything intense. It is still covered by warranty and i had the motherboard replaced about a year ago because my screen went black. 

Does anyone have any tips on what i can do to stop this overheating problem, fan loudness, and save battery life?

Should i just take my laptop into bestbuy (my warranty expires in september) and just be like yo, this piece of plastic is just overheating and it's really hard to deal with?

thanks everyone!! Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

Re: HP TX2500 overheating/fan problem

When you use your laptop literally on your lap, are you blocking the air intakes and outputs?  There must be a constant, unblocked flow of air through the case in order to keep the laptop cool.  You could also check your power settings and change them to balanced if they are currently set to high power or always on. 

The fan loudness indicates it is trying to move more air.  I suspect blocked intakes or exits, or perhaps dust and debris has accumulated inside the unit.

If you are using it on yoru lap, the uneven, relatively soft surface of your lap could be blocking airflow. 

Does the laptop overheat if you use it on a flat, hard surface?

If you find my post useful or informative, please click the icon below with the plus sign and star to give kudos. Thank you!

Hey, thanks NoNoBadDog for the reply Smiley Happy

So i rarely use my laptop on my lap. I am normally always using it on my desk either at home or in the library.

I am always on Power Saver mode. Never on high performance. Should i change to balance or just leave it on power saver?

I'm thinking i should go buy some can air and clean the vents because they look a little dusty. Is that the best way to clean the vents?

And yes, my laptop overheats when it is on a desk. It starts to get loud and hot after about 5 minutes after waking it up. It is getting hot as I type this right now.. =/ 

They make cooling pads for 29.99 and they work great. Make sure your fan is clean and open to fresh air.

Thanks Smiley Happy do you have any suggestions for which cooling pad i should get? my laptop is small, only a 12 inch screen. 

Valued Contributor

Yes, you should get the dust out of the inside of your laptop.  If you use compressed air, do not blow it directly into the computer.  You can damage the computer if the air is blown too hard into it.  You can also dislodge keys by blowing the air form a can of compressed air directly on them.

Cooling pads really don't make a drastic difference in the cooling of your computer.  They do make you "think" is does by providing a barrier between you and the laptop, but in most cases the laptops will continue to operate at it's normal temps. 

Each laptop is designed with a unique air flow pattern through the case.  Some cooling pads with fans can disrupt the normal air flow. 

If you find my post useful or informative, please click the icon below with the plus sign and star to give kudos. Thank you!

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Cooler+Master+-+NotePal+ErgoStand+Cooling+Stand+with+Fan+for+Select+Lapt...

Here is a good fan there are no specific fans for 12 inch but this wwill not let it slide while your using it

Topics: 40
Kudos: 183
Solutions: 134

Lucus,

If the fan vents are plugged your not solving the issues. As NNBDG said those pads dont make a big difference in cooling and is most likely of no help to the OP unless the underlying issues are resolved.
Vendor Participant

Hi Sana,

Sorry to hear that your notebook is overheating.  As usual, you have received excellent responses from the Forum.  When notebooks are brought in to HP because of serious overheating, often the components are clogged with dust.  I have also seen that some customers have been advised to take the notebook's temperature so as to get an accurate extent of the overheating.  Would the Forum also recommend this and if so can you provide details about the type of thermometer ot use, etc.

After following the suggestions recommended by the Forum, would the experts also advise Sana to take her notebook in to Best Buy since Sana mentions that her extended warranty is with Best Buy? If serious overheating is not covered by the Best Buy warranty, we can escalate this issue within HP.

Regards,

Priscilla

The views expressed in my contributions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views and strategy of HP. 

Priscilla, HP Social Media Ambassador

Hi everyone, 

Thanks for all your responses. I really appreciate it Smiley Happy

So I'm just going to buy some can air and clean the vents out for dust. I never block the vents because I always use my laptop on an open desk so there is plenty of air circulating. If the problem continues, I'm going to have it checked out by best buy. Hopefully this overheating problem will stop. I probably won't buy a cooling pad because this baby gets way too hot and i don't know how much it will help. 

thanks again everyone :]

-Sana