Add Product

Search Results:

Valued Contributor

Re: HP TX2500 overheating/fan problem

@sweetiesana wrote:

Hi everyone, 

Thanks for all your responses. I really appreciate it Smiley Happy

So I'm just going to buy some can air and clean the vents out for dust. I never block the vents because I always use my laptop on an open desk so there is plenty of air circulating. If the problem continues, I'm going to have it checked out by best buy. Hopefully this overheating problem will stop. I probably won't buy a cooling pad because this baby gets way too hot and i don't know how much it will help. 

thanks again everyone :]

-Sana

You should get a cooling pad but you need to buy one that fits the ventilation pattern on the bottom of your notebook. They really do make a difference if you get the proper one and the notebook is elevated to increase heat disappation.

Hey everyone,

I just went to bestbuy today and geeksquad said they will ship out my laptop and hopefully the overheating/fan problem will get better.

I did buy some can air and cleaned the vents.. but no improvement.

just wanted to update this

Smiley Happy

Vendor Participant

Sana,

Thanks very much for the update.  Glad to hear that Best Buy is sending your unit in for repair.  Let's hope that the repair service will resolve your overheating issue.

Priscilla

Priscilla, HP Social Media Ambassador

ATTENTION

Ok first off, the HP TX2500 is a wonderful system, I know, I ordered one myself

BUT YOU NEED TO KNOW SOMETHING

The GPU is prone to overheat and cause failure of the video - BUT DO NOT WORRY!

There are many factors leading into this overheating nightmare, literally the HPTX1000 and 2000 and even 2500 series are the "Xbox 360 RROD" waiting to happen, same issue almost to the T.

Here's what happens.

The GPU runs hot, and because HP put a Thermal Pad to fill in the space between the GPU chip and the Heatsink - temperatures never really 'drop' the thermal pads do not do justice. Combine with a very cheap Thermal Grease and the fact the GPU and CPU share the same Heatsink - leads to massive failures.

The fix is rather simple - especially if it is NOT under warranty, and has NOT black screened yet (where the video completely fails to load, powers on, no one's home)

You need to have someone (or yourself) go in and remove the Thermal Grease HP uses, as well as the GPU's thermal pad.  Clean the surfaces appropriately (typically with 90% rubbing alcohol) then apply a good thermal grease (usually Arctic Silver 5 is the most commonly known and good performance) for both the GPU and CPU  the GPU then gets the Copper shim (DO NOT USE A PENNY - pennies are NOT pure copper, and won't do the job well) and then more grease on top of the copper (so it touches the heatsink with thermal grease)

Very simple re-spacing and heat transferrence method.  If you still worry about the temps (which should, on average drop at LEAST 10C) you can use a Cooling pad - ensuring it blows air into the GPU's intake area (when flipped over, this slot is in the Top Left corner of the case) this ensures fresh, cool air is pushed into the area that gets hot - and flushes out the heat.

there are numerous youtube videos and such showing this, google it if you don't believe me, but HP made a mistake on the TX1000 series, and DIDN'T fix it on the Tx2000 series at all, they tried to get away with it but a class action lawsuit was filed and they have dealt with the "mainstream devices sold"  however second hand models still exist with the same problems (eg, models that were bought and then sold to another user, Pre-Owned)

Honestly I'd get GPUZ and CPUZ (programs, free) to monitor your gpu and cpu for it's heating problems, if the GPU hits 80+C - its time to consider a new cooling option.

Hi everyone,

I got my laptop back 2 days ago after it was sent out to be repaired for the overheating issue.

On the service order page, it says the agent replaced the base cover and fan/heatsink assembly. So far the laptop keyboard/top area is not getting as hot as it used to but I still can't put it on my lap because the bottom base gets pretty hot.. but I guess this is an improvement nonetheless.

I'm still waiting on best buy to send me a warranty renewal email/letter because mine is expiring early September. Hopefully, this laptop doesn't get as hot as before.

thanks guys,

-Sana

Vendor Participant

Dear Sana,

Thanks for the update.  You report that there has been some post repair improvement regarding your notebook's overheating.  The term we prefer to use is "notebook" rather than "laptop" as our product team discourages using notebooks directly on the lap.  Instead of waiting for your warranty renewal email/letter, you may want to contact Best Buy to see if the notebook would still be eligible for a repair warranty after the current warranty has expired. 

To address one of the other responses, I am not aware that there has been a class action or other lawsuits filed against HP regarding this model.  However, some TX models were included in the class list for the Nvidia lawsuit.  Notebook overheating was one of the symptoms referenced in the complaint.  The last day to file claims was in March 2011.  I know you will monitor carefully your overheating issue so that it can be addressed before your extended warranty expires.

Regards,

I have seen this problem too many times with this model.  9 out of 10 times it's the heat sink paste thats lost it's thermal conducting capabilities and needs to be replaced.

Vendor Participant

Since the unit has its extended warranty with Best Buy, Sana may want to confirm with Best Buy whether the heat sink paste was also replaced during repair.

The causes can vary; they include a buildup of dust in the fan or air vents being blocked, as would happen if your laptop were resting on your lap or on a soft surface like your bed. Additionally, it can just be a result of how you're using your computer.if u want to know more about overheating please visit the following url.

The causes can vary; they include a buildup of dust in the fan or air vents being blocked, as would happen if your laptop were resting on your lap or on a soft surface like your bed. Additionally, it can just be a result of how you're using your computer.if u want to know more about overheating visit the following url.