Add Product

Search Results:

Valued Member

Google OS

[ Edited ]

Does anyone have any opinions about the new Google OS, which is supposed to be available soon?

Highlighted

Re: Google OS

I'll admit I'm a Windows guy and am really looking forward to Windows 7, but I am very skeptical about the fast timetable for release and the Google's outrageous claim that "users don't have to deal with viruses, malware and security updates." I just don't see how that is even possible? (Maybe someone else can enlighten me) Nevertheless, if the OS is anything like the web browser (which it is supposed to be), than I am sure that the OS should be very fast and not use much memory, two things that are big positives in my opinion.

Community Veteran

Of course it won't be vulnerable to viruses at first; nothing has been written for it! Eventually though, there will be viruses, just like macs have viruses.

Trusted Contributor

@dkrrunner wrote:

I'll admit I'm a Windows guy and am really looking forward to Windows 7, but I am very skeptical about the fast timetable for release and the Google's outrageous claim that "users don't have to deal with viruses, malware and security updates." I just don't see how that is even possible? (Maybe someone else can enlighten me) Nevertheless, if the OS is anything like the web browser (which it is supposed to be), than I am sure that the OS should be very fast and not use much memory, two things that are big positives in my opinion.

There's a total of only 2-3 viruses in existence for Linux, partly due to its "niche" status and partly due to a vastly improved security and administration model compared to Windows.  Windows started with a shiny UI and MS has slowly tried to improve the core - that's NOT how you design a robust and secure operating system.  You design the core and THEN design the UI.

Based on what I've heard of Google's new OS, they are taking a proven core (Linux) and adding a new UI, which is how they can achieve their security and schedule claims.  They're NOT doing this from scratch.

Basically, Google is doing with Linux what Apple did with BSD when they created MacOS X.

------------------
*disclaimer* I am not now, nor have I ever been, an employee of Best Buy, Geek Squad, nor of any of their affiliate, parent, or subsidiary companies.

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2009/07/introducing-google-chrome-os.html

There's well over 1000 viruses / malware that target Linux. However, there hasn't been a mass outbreak on the platform.

Ultimately, if humans can make it, humans can break it.