Add Product

Search Results:

Good Router?

I need a new router that supports both wireless and wired internet (I currently only have wired internet, I'd like both). I think all routers nowadays currently do both.

What's a good one? Last year, I bought a wireless router from Best Buy and it was incredibly hard to set up, I had to do it about 7 times before it worked and it didn't work with my desktop even though I bought a USB thing that enables it to work with wireless internet.

There aren't many reviews on the Best Buy website, so if anyone has any opinions, please post here. Thank you =]

Re: Good Router?

Belkin's N300/N600 are both very easy to set up. I would suggest going after one of those. They are also very reliable. I at home right now am using the N300 and have no trouble with it.

-------------------
The views expressed in this post are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of Best Buy's. But you can expect them to make you chuckle.
PCHO Sales Representative - Tualatin, Oregon.

Thank you, I'll check those out. The US site has way more reviews than the Canada one, haha.

Also, if it makes any difference to what router is good for me, I have one desktop computer using wired internet and 2 laptops capable of using wireless and wired internet and an ipod touch that uses wireless internet.
So in total, 4 devices.

The N300 is going to provide stable and quick internet for at least four devices covering a bit more than a large apartment. The N600 is going to be great for a medium-sized house (1 or 2 story) running more than four devices. Honestly though, either one should be sufficient for what you're doing.
-------------------
The views expressed in this post are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of Best Buy's. But you can expect them to make you chuckle.

I live in a house, I'd say it's medium-sized, definitely not small. My siblings want to use internet all around the house because they have weird studying habits where they move around ever hour.

Thanks for your advice, I'm going to look for more reviews to see if the ones you suggested are good for me.

Sure, good luck.
-------------------
Valued Contributor

With your question, you are going to get lots of opinions.  I'll add my opinion; I have a difficult time recommending Belkin products, because even though they are relatively easy to set up, I have found that there performance is not as good as some comparably priced routers.  I would recommend Netgear or Cisco/Linksys.  They are as easy to set up as the Belkins (and the Cisco/Linksys are even easier), and both give better range and throughput than do Belkin products.  I have formed this opinion from several years of setting up and maintaining home networks for not only clients but also friends and family.  Again, the above is just my opinion, but I think you'll find others that feel the same way. 

One other point; there is a tool that can make setting up and managing your network very easy; it is called "Network Magic".  Posting of external links is frowned upon in these forums, so just do a goole search and you'll find their home page.  I have a rather large network in my home: 5 computers, two laptops, a server, two NAS boxes, an iPad, two android phones, a wireless TV and a wireless Blu-ray player, a gaming console, etc..  Managing such a network is amde easy by using Network Magic.

If you find my post useful or informative, please click the icon below with the plus sign and star to give kudos. Thank you!

Thank you for your opinion! Is there any particular model you would recommend?

My house doesn't have as many devices as you do, I think at most, we'll use 3 at the same time (2 laptops and an ipod touch)
Valued Contributor

The Cisco/Linksys routers are really good...whatever model happens to be on sale..This one is the one I use:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Cisco+Linksys+-+Ultra+RangePlus+Wireless-N+Broadband+Router+with+4-Port+...

If you find my post useful or informative, please click the icon below with the plus sign and star to give kudos. Thank you!

Thanks, I'm going to read the reviews for that one now. =]