Add Product

Search Results:

Topics: 648
Kudos: 503
Solutions: 315

Re: Gateway FX6840-03e with Core I7...?

It has nothing to do with Microsoft, well, OK, a little, it's the manufacturer's you need to take a beef with.

And it's 4 DVD's, that's like, $2.

If you like my post, or solution to your issue/question, go ahead and click on the little star by my name and/or accept the post as the Solution. It makes me happy.

I'm NOT an employee of Best Buy, or Geek Squad, though I did work as an Agent for a year 5 years ago. None of my posts are to be taken as the official stance that Best Buy will take on your situation. My advice is just that, advice.
Unfortunately, that's the bad luck of any electronic, there's going to be bad Apples... wait that's a horrible pun.
Valued Member

Well, actually, my understanding is that it is a cost saving measure of the manufacturer. If you calculate the cost of each st if recovery discs at two dollars per unit and the manufacturer makes one hundred and fifty thousand models, then not inlcuding them saves the manufacturer three hundred thousand dollars on each model. For a manufacturer hat makes ten lines of machines, that's a saving of three million dollars... Three million dollars they don't pass along to you, the consumer.

Nytngale
Agent 201572* Proud to be a CIA * Saving the World One Computer at a Time (from my iPad) * Go Ahead, Use Us *
———
The messages posted here are my personal views, and not the views of Best Buy or BestBuy.com. Please feel free to PM.

the top left button is to copy and past stuff (Tho i have never got it to work for me.) the other one is to launch into recovery mode when the computer is off. 

the manufactures do not provide recovery disks anymore because they want to get as much money out of you as possible. its like 60-80$ to get new recovery disks from the manufactures outside the warranties.

btw, i read the manual that came with the machine to figure out what those buttons do. Smiley Happy

Topics: 648
Kudos: 503
Solutions: 315

Not quite John, in my experience with all the major manufacturer's, they were only $25 tops, with shipping. But, I do agree that it stinks that you have to make your own.

If you like my post, or solution to your issue/question, go ahead and click on the little star by my name and/or accept the post as the Solution. It makes me happy.

I'm NOT an employee of Best Buy, or Geek Squad, though I did work as an Agent for a year 5 years ago. None of my posts are to be taken as the official stance that Best Buy will take on your situation. My advice is just that, advice.
Unfortunately, that's the bad luck of any electronic, there's going to be bad Apples... wait that's a horrible pun.

It's financial sense for them to no financial gain to us.

They're certainly not knocking off the money not making the CDs saved them.

They are, however, certainly increasing the hassle many computer owners who are not very tech savvy (seriously, you don't know how to burn a CD? *facepalm*) experience setting up/using their PCs.

I now leave you with a bit of music I composed.

Actually I won't because I suck at music. Move along.

The DVD drive open button is on the right.  Thanks for the comments on the video card...  It does seem to be slow in that area.

Valued Contributor

Many, if not most, new computers do not come with a Windows disc, or a backup/restore disc, in the box.  You are expected to burn your own when you get the machine set up.  If you skip this set, and your computer crashes, you will have to buy a restore disc set from the manufacturer.  This is not unique to Gateway, but is common with most manufacturers.  Urge you to make your restore disc set *NOW* while you can.  Do not put it off...you may regret it if you do!

If you find my post useful or informative, please click the icon below with the plus sign and star to give kudos. Thank you!

Making a Windows Restore system is a good idea. Get a couple DVDs and burn those. Despite buying a pre-built machine, the throes of Windows and the internet can sometimes cause trouble.

-------------------
The views expressed in this post are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of Best Buy's. But you can expect them to make you chuckle.
PCHO Sales Representative - Tualatin, Oregon.