Add Product

Search Results:

Gateway FX6840-03e with Core I7...?

Is this a good computer to do gaming and if anyone else who had bought this could give me reviews on how well it run"s?

Topics: 648
Kudos: 503
Solutions: 315

Re: Gateway FX6840-03e with Core I7...?

The specs on that machine are fine for running most of todays games. It may not be able to do very "high" settings, but you shouldn't have any problems overall.

If you like my post, or solution to your issue/question, go ahead and click on the little star by my name and/or accept the post as the Solution. It makes me happy.

I'm NOT an employee of Best Buy, or Geek Squad, though I did work as an Agent for a year 5 years ago. None of my posts are to be taken as the official stance that Best Buy will take on your situation. My advice is just that, advice.
Unfortunately, that's the bad luck of any electronic, there's going to be bad Apples... wait that's a horrible pun.

It's been a long time since I have owned a Gateway pc how reliable are the FX line?

Topics: 648
Kudos: 503
Solutions: 315

I can't speak personally, since I'm an ASUS guy, best bet would be to do some research online of some reviews and see what they say. It looks like that model is on many websites.

If you like my post, or solution to your issue/question, go ahead and click on the little star by my name and/or accept the post as the Solution. It makes me happy.

I'm NOT an employee of Best Buy, or Geek Squad, though I did work as an Agent for a year 5 years ago. None of my posts are to be taken as the official stance that Best Buy will take on your situation. My advice is just that, advice.
Unfortunately, that's the bad luck of any electronic, there's going to be bad Apples... wait that's a horrible pun.

I just bought one of these monsters on Friday.  I had just received a new nvidia 460 video card from online and went to pop it in my trusty pc that I had built myself years ago, and just kept upgrading parts every other year or so.  Poof shorted something out, spent hours trying to fix it and no luck.  I happened to have some spare $ so I start perusing the internet and about the best deal I see is the Gateway Fx6840... from best buy.  I had to drive to a store 45minutes away to find one in stock that wouldn’t take a week to get shipped in...

The machine itself is very solid EXCEPT for the average video card which I did NOT even try out, immediately swapped in my nvida 460.  Playing world of warcraft now with all settings maxed and double sampling, at 1080resolution on an LCD TV and in a 10man raid I’m getting 45-60fps, depending on how busy the screen is.  If that’s not descriptive enough, I’m a melee; spell and particle effects go off so fast and bright around me I have to use a macro to target mobs because I cannot make them out thru all the splash and lighting going off on my screen.  It’s awesome.  Now, I don’t know if that’s a better review of the Gateway or the nvidia 460, you have to decide that.  Outside of gaming, the machine is great.  I loathe Win7 with a passion, but I have yet to find anything this box can’t do faster and quieter than my old one.  Frequently while playing WoW I will be switching between watching a movie and surfing around the internet.  While I could do this with my old box also, this one just feels a lot smoother while doing it.  I must say I was very impressed by the 2 empty hot swap sata hard drive bays (once I figured out what they were).  The power and sata connections are fixed to the bays and they have removable plastic caddies that you can fit any standard hard drive in, slide them in and you are ready (had 2 hdd's left from my old pc, was very smooth transition)

The Bad - NO WINDOWS DISK, ALMOST nonexistent documentation beyond a sheet of paper with a few pictures to tell you how to take the machine out of the cardboard box, plug in the keyboard, plug it into the wall and how to turn it on.  There are still buttons on the case I’m trying to figure out what they do...  No external button to open the DVD drive.  Annoying.  To do anything you have to go into explorer and click the eject... very badly thought out.

All in all, other than lack of documentation and Win7, I’m pretty darn happy with this purchase.  I priced similar components online to consider building another pc from scratch, and the price was comparable, and I don’t have to do the work myself.  I cannot speak for the ATI vid card, as I said, it never even saw power in the box, but the write ups I have read about it are meh to average at best.  If you are looking for a solid all around pc, I would recommend this.  If you have another $200 to kick out for an nvidia 460 vid card you can turn it into a pretty nice gaming pc to boot.

I thought there were buttons for ejection on the right side of the computer. Also can this thing do Crossfire?

Valued Contributor

I don't of any store bought computers that will do crossfire. Most of them do not have a power supply that will support it.
**If you like my answer then click the little Star under my username.
**If my response answered your question then click the Solved button. Thanks

You are right!  There are two buttons on the right side of the case to eject the dvd.  Not the right front but the right side.  I did not see it until i picked up the case and when looking for my windows regestration number.  Good sized buttons but easy to miss if you dont know where to look.  There are also 2 buttons on the top of the case, on each side of the power switch, one is to put the pc to sleep, anyone have a idea what the other is for?  It looks like the icon for flipping over a piece of paper.

I am not familiar with Ati's crossfire.  Before i bought the box I had the sales guy at best buy open it up because my 460 vidcard needed TWO 2x3 power lines and two other boxes I had looked at did not come with enough power outputs to satisy the 460 card.  This box does have 2 2x3's and i think... its 650w power supply.

Valued Member

Almost all desktop machines do NOT come with recovery discs any more. You will be expected to u se the on-board recovery disc creation software to burn a set of DVDs onto which your recovery software will be placed. There will be approximately 4 DVDs that you will need for. The task. Ousually i use verbatim DVD-r discs. To access recovery manager, click on the start button and type the word. Recovery into the search bar.

Nytngale
Agent 201572* Proud to be a CIA * Saving the World One Computer at a Time (from my iPad) * Go Ahead, Use Us *
———
The messages posted here are my personal views, and not the views of Best Buy or BestBuy.com. Please feel free to PM.

Hmm, to me that is just immensly dumb.  Why do i need to waste 4 dvd's and run a recovery program when they could just pack me one of the BILLION windows disketts out there... I hate windows7

Still no ideas on the buttons around the power button...?