Add Product

Search Results:

From Vista to Xp

I want to change my computer which is a year old hp from vista to xp.....how do I do it.....what are the costs involved with my doing it myself or having BB do it for me?

Topics: 1,116
Kudos: 753
Blog Posts: 0
Solutions: 271

Re: From Vista to Xp

Tracking down XP drivers for a Vista computer can be a big challenge.
***Please keep in mind that I am not employed by Best Buy and are just a regular forums Super User and an everyday shopper like you. If you find my posting helpful, please add kudos to it. Remember to mark answered questions as solved if something helped you to speed up the answer queue for other customers***
Topics: 1,116
Kudos: 753
Blog Posts: 0
Solutions: 271

I apologize for an abbreviated response as I was doing some online laptop research.

The issue with downgrading from Vista to XP comes with some issues :

1. It might be hard to find the drivers

2. What was fully functional in Vista may be feature reduced in XP.

3. The manufacturer on your PC will not offer you support if you change the operating system to another one and it starts behaving incorrectly.

In short - Yes it can be done, but might get quite expensive.

***Please keep in mind that I am not employed by Best Buy and are just a regular forums Super User and an everyday shopper like you. If you find my posting helpful, please add kudos to it. Remember to mark answered questions as solved if something helped you to speed up the answer queue for other customers***

i did it, and it is not the hard. make shure you have native sata support in your BIOS or else you will have to install a third party driver so windows xp can see you hard drive.(and you have to do this through a floppy drive because windows xp doesnt reconise any other driver during the install, you can make a install cd with the drivers in it, but it is much more difficult). also drivers are easy to find. just because you have a hp laptop dv2550se or dv2000, or what ever, it doesnt matter. you will find that hp (or any company) makes drivers and still supports your hardware on any operating system. you just have to play around and you can do it. companys dont want you to backdate, and they will say it wont work, but it will. bestbuy told me it was impossible when i asked them to do it lol, but it isnt hard at all, it just takes time, and i was hoping they would do it so i wouldnt have to mess with it.

Backup the drivers and you'll have to reformat before putting XP on. The cost to you is (if you have the XP operating system disk) then it shouldn't cost you a dime.