Add Product

Search Results:

Highlighted
Visitor
Accepted Solution

Forgot password to decrypt storage

My father has a NS-14T004 tablet that has recently booted up to a screen that says "Type password to decrypt storage", however he doesn't remember what password he could have used, or even setting one up. Is there an admin password or a way to format the storage so we can use this tablet again? We're not worried about the data being lost, but rather the ability to use the tablet.

Visitor

Re: Forgot password to decrypt storage

Hello TylernolXS,

Welcome to Community@ Insignia™!

This is how to reset the tablet.  This will delete all data that your father has not backed up. 

Step 1 - Ensure the tablet is connected to the charger and has at least 45% battery left. If the battery dies during this process the device could be damaged.

Step 2 - Power off the tablet fully.

Step 3 - Press and HOLD the Volume + button. 

Step 4 - While still holding the Volume + button, press the Power button until the screen illuminates and shows Insignia.  Then release the power button only.

Step 5 - Continue holding Volume+ until 4 options are shown in the upper left corner of the screen.

Step 6 - Use the Volume - button to select "Recovery Kernal", then press Volume +.  It may take 10- 15 seconds for the next screen to appear.
Step 7 - A text only menu should appear with the following options with the top option highlighted in blue (If only the Android mascot appears you may need to hit volume + and volume - to bring up the text menu.  Again, it may take 10-15 seconds for the next screen to come up)  The option you want is:

wipe data/factory reset -Resets the device entirely, deleting all data and restoring it to factory settingse device

Step 8 - Use Volume - to select "wipe data/factory reset" and press the power button to select it.

Step 9 - Use Volume - to select "Yes -- delete all user data" and press the power button to select it.

Step 10 - Following the reset, the device should boot up and go through the initial setup process again as when it just came out of the box.

This will reset the tablet for you.

Regards,
Jeremy
Insignia™ Support

Visitor

that worked up to the selecting text; my Volume down button does not work only my Volume up does. So I am guessing there is no way for me to fix this 

Visitor

Hello gusegreen,

Welcome to Community@ Insignia™!

In this particular case, the best course of action will be to have the tablet serviced by our certified technicians from Geek squad, or you
can as well approach a local technician of your trust. As soon as the volume button is completely functional, you will be able to follow the
steps provided above and attempt to reset the tablet for you to be able to continue enjoying the best of our products.

Best,

John
Insignia Products.

Visitor

I tried and all works except tablet just restarts to enter password to decrypt storage?  I never used a password?  If i hold volume up and down and power i get no USB attached? My tablet Asus 7 inch. Tried pressing up and down to enter reset mode and also nothing. Tried downloading cleardata and put on blank sd still nothing.

/

Hd1
Visitor

So, who at insignia is responsible for the glitch that out of the blue is making me enter a non existant password to get into encrypted data that was never encrypted?
Visitor

i get to step 4 but i get windows defender pop up and then it shuts down