Add Product

Search Results:

Trusted Contributor

Flirting with Apple

As the title suggest, I'm kicking around the idea of purchasing an Apple computer.

Models in the running include the 13" MacBook Pro, the 13" MacBook Air, and the Mac Mini.

I like the MacBook Pro for its backlit keyboard and firewire connectivity. I'm neutral about the optical drive, and I''m constantly asking myself if I need to have a built-in optical drive on a modern computer.

The MacBook Air is only in this race because it doesn't have an optical drive. I'm thinking I should go that route and pick up the weight savings.  If push comes to shove, I suppose I could always just pony up for an external drive. Sure I'd lose some performance versus the MBP, but will I see a big difference?

Finally, the Mac Mini is in this race because of its excellent value as an actual computer. Of course, I will sacrifice portability. I have not deciding if portability is a deal breaker for this purchase. Once I factor in the mouse, display and keyboard, the value is diminished somewhat.

There are some issues I do have. The whole internal battery kinda bothers me. I know it's all high tech, but still....

Anyways, I'd appreciate any feedback/comments on which way I should go. Thanks!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Disclosure: Former BBY employee.
Trusted Contributor

Re: Flirting with Apple

What??? Nobody wants to help me with my Apple dilemma? Man Surprised

I thought this forum was filled with Apple Fanboys/gurlz????? Man Tongue

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Topics: 31
Kudos: 57
Solutions: 151

I've been on a MacBook Pro since late 2009, and still to this day couldn't be more satisfied with it. If you're looking at the Air just decide if you'd really like to sacrifice a little performance and an extra $100 to have the form be a little slimmer and lighter. Personally the weight isn't a big issue for me.

Dan K. | Former Best Buy Employee
Any opinions expressed in this post are those of
the author and do not represent Best Buy Co., Inc.
Trusted Contributor

Thanks for the feedback, Dan.

As of right now, the MacBook Pro is in the lead, followed closely by the MacBook Air. The Mac Mini has dropped out of the race.

I'll be pulling the trigger soon....anyone else wanna weigh in?

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

I'd go with the Macbook Pro. I have an older model myself (2008) and am quite happy with it. It's more of a complete computer whereas the Macbook Air seems more like a super fast netbook. It's slimness scares me sometimes. Feels like it would be quite easy to drop and damage. The only people I'd recommend the MBA to are business travelers or real estate agents to name a few. People who need something small and connected to the internet anywhere they go. With some of the phones released today, however, it seems like the MBA is overshadowed.

I've read many articles about how optical media is on its way out and everything is headed to streaming content and flash memory but I have also read the opposite about with Blu-Ray, optical media will be here to stay for some time and flash memory is not getting cheaper. You'll just never know when you'll need that optical drive to read or burn discs. The backlit keyboard is a cool feature.

I use my MBP for everyday use and my desktop pc for gaming and life is good. My Android phone is for gaming at the DMV, church, school, etc. Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

@CrimsonRain wrote:

I'd go with the Macbook Pro. I have an older model myself (2008) and am quite happy with it. It's more of a complete computer whereas the Macbook Air seems more like a super fast netbook. It's slimness scares me sometimes. Feels like it would be quite easy to drop and damage. The only people I'd recommend the MBA to are business travelers or real estate agents to name a few. People who need something small and connected to the internet anywhere they go. With some of the phones released today, however, it seems like the MBA is overshadowed.

I've read many articles about how optical media is on its way out and everything is headed to streaming content and flash memory but I have also read the opposite about with Blu-Ray, optical media will be here to stay for some time and flash memory is not getting cheaper. You'll just never know when you'll need that optical drive to read or burn discs. The backlit keyboard is a cool feature.

I use my MBP for everyday use and my desktop pc for gaming and life is good. My Android phone is for gaming at the DMV, church, school, etc. Smiley Happy

Thanks, Crimson....that was the quality feedback I was looking for. I'll keep everyone posted on what I decide to buy.  I'm still open to all opinions...

Valued Contributor

Please keep in mind no Macbooks sold today have Blu-Ray drives installed in them and Apple has been resisting the idea to do so. And you know Apple; when they put their foot down on something, they will most likely stick with it (case in point: Flash).

Topics: 292
Kudos: 171
Blog Posts: 0
Solutions: 81

When I speak to someone at length and determine what their needs are, they end up with a MacBook Pro. This is for a large variety of reasons - from cpu cache size on up.

Therefore - I would say it would never be a *bad* decision to go with the MacBook Pro, if your intention is to go with Apple.

Arguing specifications rarely help make this sort of decision, however - how you will use it is the most beneficial way to get advice. Who knows, there might be a device, tool or software out there that fits your situation that you've never even heard of! Something you've never even considered.

So what will you be using it for? Now and in the known future? What hobbies will you be partaking upon on this machine? 

Why Mac versus PC? Any specific reason, or just brand interest? (if there is a specific reason, that might factor into some things)

s.gifI am a Bestbuy employee who volunteers on these boards on my own time. I am not paid for posting here, and you should understand that my opinions are exactly that - opinions. I do not represent Bestbuy in any way.
: Open Mailbox

Depending what you plan to do with your mac, I strongly suggest the Air. It's SSD is exceptionally quick and although the processor does not seem as much, its more than enough to compute day to day tasks unless you plan to do some heavy video/photo editing. (Again, it will easily handles the basics.) Disc drives are obsolete these days, everything you need you can get as a digital download and save money in the process. While having the air, don't be quick to overlook its weight advantage, its portability and "wow" factor, you cant imagine how wonderfull it is to throw your air into any little bag and forget its ther. Good luck on your choice!

Valued Contributor

Good read on comparisons of current Apple Macbook Pros, Macbook Airs, and Mac Mini here.