Add Product

Search Results:

External disk drive

My computer wont start up anymore it keeps showing a blue screen with words for a second or two then restarts. So i was wondering if i bought a windows 7 instalation disk and external cd drive would my computer recognize the external cd drive so i can install a new windows 7 os on it?

Topics: 648
Kudos: 503
Solutions: 315

Re: External disk drive

Do you not have an internal DVD drive?

There's a lot of questions coming to mind: What kind of computer? Laptop/desktop? How old is it? Are there any other issues that you were having(is this problem hardware or software)?

If you like my post, or solution to your issue/question, go ahead and click on the little star by my name and/or accept the post as the Solution. It makes me happy.

I'm NOT an employee of Best Buy, or Geek Squad, though I did work as an Agent for a year 5 years ago. None of my posts are to be taken as the official stance that Best Buy will take on your situation. My advice is just that, advice.
Unfortunately, that's the bad luck of any electronic, there's going to be bad Apples... wait that's a horrible pun.

Um i got the laptop  around christmas last year its an hp mini netbook. I figured out what it says for those couple seconds its on the screen "dumping physical memory" if that helps. 

Topics: 292
Kudos: 171
Blog Posts: 0
Solutions: 81

Depending on the brand and model of laptop, you may be able to do a RESTORE using the laptop's internal restore partition. This would be your best option. The fact that the machine POSTS at all is a great sign, actually. Do you have an option to 'Restore' (or similar) by pressing a button at bootup?

s.gifI am a Bestbuy employee who volunteers on these boards on my own time. I am not paid for posting here, and you should understand that my opinions are exactly that - opinions. I do not represent Bestbuy in any way.
: Open Mailbox

Apologies, you did not specify if you had a LAPTOP or not. I agree with Red's recommendation, if you can.

If not, yes you'd most likely have to track down an external drive.

If you like my post, or solution to your issue/question, go ahead and click on the little star by my name and/or accept the post as the Solution. It makes me happy.

I'm NOT an employee of Best Buy, or Geek Squad, though I did work as an Agent for a year 5 years ago. None of my posts are to be taken as the official stance that Best Buy will take on your situation. My advice is just that, advice.
Unfortunately, that's the bad luck of any electronic, there's going to be bad Apples... wait that's a horrible pun.

I fail to see what an external drive would do for this customer, George. If you're talking about an external optical (CD-ROM/DVD) drive, we would still have to wonder if the device was capable of picking up the drive hardware wise. In other words, would the motherboard detect it for boot up? A vexing question which requires more research.

We really need the model number of the laptop to verify.

s.gifI am a Bestbuy employee who volunteers on these boards on my own time. I am not paid for posting here, and you should understand that my opinions are exactly that - opinions. I do not represent Bestbuy in any way.

.... and I can't believe you actually used that pun in your sig line!

Kudos for bravery! Smiley Happy

I see your point. But seeing as it posts, it "shouldn't" have a problem with a USB drive.

Assuming the hardware allows for USB booting, and if so, if it doesn't have to be enabled in BIOS. 

Topics: 1,494
Kudos: 727
Solutions: 320

You should not even need a recovery disc. HP computers have a built in recovery partition. Its Alt F something,  if the drive is not a solid state drive. You should consult your netbook operating manual for how to use in the built in recovery partition. Do this first before you harm your whole hard drive as this may the the solution and if it is , you can return some items to the store. (Windows wont be refundable though)

***Please keep in mind that I am not employed by Best Buy and are just a regular forums Super User and an everyday shopper like you. If you find my posting helpful, please add kudos to it. Remember to mark answered questions as solved if something helped you to speed up the answer queue for other customers***