Add Product

Search Results:

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

E drive disappeared

Gateway GM5442:  After a few months the E drive (dvd) disappeared and won't come back.  Vista issue or Gateway? Or neither?  We asked the Geek folks at the local BB and they didn't seem to have a clue what I was talking about.  Only fix I found was to go into regedit and delete specific high and low filters.  Anyone else have this problem with Gateway or any other brand?
Topics: 1,116
Kudos: 753
Blog Posts: 0
Solutions: 271

Re: E drive disappeared

You mean upper and lower filters? Because only one of those values are available.

Yes this fix works , in fact its confirmed here:

http://www.randomfix.com/2007/04/12/windows-vista-%E2%80%93-missing-cddvd-rom-drive/

Read on Smiley Happy

***Please keep in mind that I am not employed by Best Buy and are just a regular forums Super User and an everyday shopper like you. If you find my posting helpful, please add kudos to it. Remember to mark answered questions as solved if something helped you to speed up the answer queue for other customers***

My daughter tried to play an IL Duce music CD on my laptop with Vista OS. The disc spun up and then stopped. I checked the disc in windows explorer and my drive was not listed. I then went to device manager and my disc was listed, but when I tried to access it, I got the "cannot start drive (code 10)" message. I then tried the cd disc in a laptop running XP. It did the same thing. I had to edit my registry as described in this thread on both computers and removed both the upper and lower filters. Both laptops now work fine and my cd drives are back on both. Apparently some music cd's and

dvd's have antipiracy software installed which corrupts the registry on both xp and vista based systems. My daughter plays the cd on her mac and it runs fine.

Topics: 1,116
Kudos: 753
Blog Posts: 0
Solutions: 271

This should have stopped awhile back. The biggest offender in this case is the Sony Corporation and their music discs. They got in trouble for the whole root kit thing awhile back and offered to exchange music discs affected for ones without the DRM.
***Please keep in mind that I am not employed by Best Buy and are just a regular forums Super User and an everyday shopper like you. If you find my posting helpful, please add kudos to it. Remember to mark answered questions as solved if something helped you to speed up the answer queue for other customers***