Add Product

Search Results:

Dell Dimension E310 video card upgrade

I'm trying to upgrade my computer's graphic card because I want to play this game Counter Strike Source. I have all the requried specs except my graphic card but I don't know which/what kind to buy. WIll you guys help me find a compatible video card for me Dell Dimension E310 that'll work for Counter Strike Source? thanks in advance and hopefully someone replies
Topics: 1,115
Kudos: 753
Blog Posts: 0
Solutions: 271

Re: Dell Dimension E310 video card upgrade

You are going to have the same problem EMachines EL1200-01e users are going to have, your machine is underpowered in the power supply department and you can only utilize a PCI Express x1 slot which the video cards are extremely hard to find. You wont find any at Best Buy. I reccomend Google for searching for these cards. Also, because of the way the tower is built some PCI-e x1 cards might not fit properly in there.
***Please keep in mind that I am not employed by Best Buy and are just a regular forums Super User and an everyday shopper like you. If you find my posting helpful, please add kudos to it. Remember to mark answered questions as solved if something helped you to speed up the answer queue for other customers***

You can also go for a PCI Graphics card but please keep in mind, those PCI Bus graphics cards really are bottlenecked due to the fact they only run on a 66mhz bus speed. They are not for gaming at all
***Please keep in mind that I am not employed by Best Buy and are just a regular forums Super User and an everyday shopper like you. If you find my posting helpful, please add kudos to it. Remember to mark answered questions as solved if something helped you to speed up the answer queue for other customers***

[ Edited ]

So what kind of PCI cards should I look at google?

I tried searching google and I found this
http://www.pcconnection.com/IPA/Shop/Product/Detail.htm?sku=8361302&srccode=cii_9324560&cpncode=22-920654-2

orr

http://www.iunitek.com/iunitek/index.cfm?fuseaction=shop.dspSpecs&part=2600118

Would that work?

Message Edited by JRocxx on 12-04-2008 12:58 AM
Message Edited by JRocxx on 12-04-2008 01:01 AM

Were really not allowed to post links to other sites that sell stuff except for of course Best Buy.

What I can legally post is this though:

PNY Geforce 8400 GS 512mb PCI Graphics Card

Currently the product is on backorder on BestBuy.com but it might be available at your local store. Its current retail price is $109.99 Thats about on par pricewise with the budget cards in the PCI Express range. The reason why PCI is so expensive is because its an almost obsolete format and its hard to make a good PCI video card while maintaining acceptable performance. Keep in mind your local stores in house price for this item might be higher in price then what the website mentions, however, you can lock in the web price and pay what you see if you order online and pickup in-store.

Whatever you do , do not purchase a PCI version of the Geforce 6200 , only one driver will work on it no matter what brand and if you try and upgrade drivers you will get lockups on media player and other video apps.

I apologize for posting a link.

I read some online info about my computer and I think most or some  video cards dont work for my system because my comp is kinda old and that link you posted, are you sure that video card will work for my comp? 

While that is a Geforce 8400 GS Video Card, and you only have a 230 watt power supply I highly doubt that the card is doing to draw more then that. You are not running a loaded to the max system (Because the motherboard is a special edition omitting most of the ports) So any PCI card should be fine. The worst that can happen (which is unlikely) is your computer freezes and starts to reboot.

Again PCI is only 66mhz and those slots dont draw power like the AGP, and PCI-e x16 , x1 slots do.

If you are uncertain, take it in to the Geek Squad and let them decide Smiley Happy