Add Product

Search Results:

CAT
Accepted Solution

DVD burner won't work

My DVD won't read any disks.  You can hear that it is trying because of the noise it is making - sounds like it's spinning and making some clinking noises.  If I need to replace this, how do I know which type to get?  I know that is is an EIDE interface and I am sure that I can replace it myself.
Trusted Member

Re: DVD burner won't work

the box should say on it in store  look for  IDE or EIDE. 

Just know not to look for SATA models (unless you have sata ports on your motherboard.  My computer came with an IDE burner, but I replaced it with a SATA model..  the stock one was loud.

Recognized Member

just get the cheapest one u can find.

go look for this product:

LG 20x internal Double Layer DVD+RW/CD-RW Drive with lightscribe technology

sku: 9012613. bring this sku number in your nearest best buy store. if they are out just ask them for: "cheapest internal eide/ide dvd burner."

CAT

OK -- went to Best Buy and got a new one -- opened the case but can't get the screws loose -- they are factory installed (Gateway) -- got any suggestions??  Jumpers -- do I set the new one the same as the old one (CS) or leave it as it is in the box (Master)??

Us seniors need to know how to fix our own computers, too.

Highlighted
Recognized Member

hmmm sometimes really simple screwdrivers just don't have enough torque to losen up the screws. you can get better screwdrivers, it'll have enough torque to losen the screws. plus u probably iwll have to put more pressure into it.

the jumpers, set it to CS (cable select).