Add Product

Search Results:

Computer screen half blank (colored vertical stripes)

Help! Half my daughter's computer screen is covered with colored stripes. It started with a single

red line appearing on the screen. The red line appeared consistently for 2 weeks. I researched the problem online and found people who had a similar problem found it to be from over heating. She began to use the computer less and shutting it off after every use. The problem progressed until today, when the screen was covered with these colored lines.

Re: Computer screen half blank (colored vertical stripes)

the graphic card is failing.
Topics: 1,849
Kudos: 943
Blog Posts: 0
Solutions: 352

Ive seen issues with Dell computers where a bios update corrected the Video Bios issue.
Best Buy Forums Super User since 2008. Please note I am not employed by Best Buy and I answer questions on my own time. If you find something helpful please add kudos to it. Should something solve your issue please remember to mark inquiries as solved.
Recognized Member

It could be the monitor is failing, try hooking your daughters PC to another monitor.

If you don't have an extra monitor, you could try these>while pc is on, press prinstcreen on your keyboard (to capture a screenshoot of active window/desktop) , then open MS word or MS paint and paste the captured image. Try to resize the image to see if red lines are actually there, lines in the image should get thinner/smaller too as you resize the pasted image. If the pasted image has red lines, then it's not the monitor, could be Video card or Bios as  Hockeycanuckjc has mentioned.

Highlighted
Recognized Member

this can be caused by:

bad bios (even though they never mentioned it was a dell)

monitor going bad

graphics card chip is going bad

connection between the monitor and your motherboard is bad (bad cable, lose cable) 

your eyes going bad (haha jk jk)

u can play around with the setting and end up frustration, or you can bring it in to geek squad and have them take a look at it.

if you bought the computer from best buy and bought the protection service plan/geek squad black tie protection plan, they will be able to take a look at it and hopefully it will be covered (depends on what's causing it)

if you bought the computer from best buy and did not buy the protection plan, or u didn't buy the computer from best buy at all, they will charge you $69 for a diagnostic fee, and they will tell you an estimate on how much it will cost for you to fix.

Thanks for all your help! My daughter's computer had a half blank screen and we

had it diagnosed. It WAS a dead screen.