Add Product

Search Results:

Re: Computer Monitor Flickers

We might instead put this computer into semiretirement up in our sons' bedroom (where it won't be put to such constant and demanding use), and buy a new computer for downstairs (we saw a rather nice Asus bundle in this week's Best Buy ad for approx. $850, with a good graphics card already included).  I've got most of my important data files already saved to thumb drive, so switching over shouldn't be too difficult.

Kudos: 156
Solutions: 236

That sounds like a good idea, not cause youre spending money but because you are a very competent customer. I do like that bundle. Smiley Wink

Adam

Best Buy Community - Retail, Americas

Forum Guidelines | Terms & Conditions | Community Guidelines | Blogging Guidelines

*Remember to mark your questions solved and click the star under the user's name to show your thanks!

The computer may still be covered under one of Best Buy's Performance Service Plans, so perhaps warranty service can get it repaired.  Besides the screen flicker, I was also getting blue "crash dump" screens.  I did a system restore to factory settings twice this week (once using the recovery partition, once using the recovery discs I had fortunately made before all this started happening).  I've got Internet access, and I can run DVDs (without flickering!) now, but games?  A link to HP's WildGames service was part of the factory settings, and I can access those; however, although I can install games from discs (such as Civilization IV), I can't load & run those games.  (As long as DVD movies will still run OK, though, that may be sufficient performance for "semi-retirement" in my sons' bedroom, since they generally just watch movies in there, and play games on other computers in the house.)

Trusted Contributor

Also, are any funny noises (sounding like fan bearings failing/grinding) coming from the machine?
------------------
*disclaimer* I am not now, nor have I ever been, an employee of Best Buy, Geek Squad, nor of any of their affiliate, parent, or subsidiary companies.

No weird noises, thank goodness (I've had such noises on other messed-up computers in the past, but not yet on this one).

Flickering can be caused by multiple things:

1. software and/or drivers

2. physical issue with video card

3. physical issue with computer (e.g. power issue or slot issue)

4. Monitor power cable / monitor itself going bad

5. external issue (e.g. speakers or fan too close to monitor) Note: usually only relevant to old CRTs

Easiest step is to simply move the LCD to another computer to see if the issue continues. If it follows the LCD, then you know what the issue is. If not, then you need to think of when the issue started. Was it after a lightning storm, or was it after a software change?