Add Product

Search Results:

Cannot keep an internet connection

I did not have the problem with my last computer, but with this new Gateway I bought, I can keep an internet connection for about 5-10 minutes, then I will lose it for 3-6 minutes.  Other two computers in the house work fine when this one is out.  We have replaced all connections/wires, problem still persists.  Took it to BB and they hooked it to their internet and it never went out (go figure).  Anyone else having this problem? 

Topics: 1,116
Kudos: 753
Blog Posts: 0
Solutions: 271

Re: Cannot keep an internet connection

What kind of internet connection do you have?
***Please keep in mind that I am not employed by Best Buy and are just a regular forums Super User and an everyday shopper like you. If you find my posting helpful, please add kudos to it. Remember to mark answered questions as solved if something helped you to speed up the answer queue for other customers***

Hi Hockey - its cable hookup through our local electric system.  We had the same provider with my last computer and it never went off-line.  Now when it goes off I am getting this "connect" box option that keeps popping up, then it wants usernames.  I close it and it comes back on 5 minutes later and works for awhile. 

Someone said it would be static building up, but my last one did not do this. 

Its "DSL" hookup.

Broadband through electrical lines, that technology I know exists but you are the first person I came across that uses this kind of internet. I will see what I can find online to help you with your issue, but this is a strange one indeed that might very well stump me till the cows come home Smiley Very Happy
***Please keep in mind that I am not employed by Best Buy and are just a regular forums Super User and an everyday shopper like you. If you find my posting helpful, please add kudos to it. Remember to mark answered questions as solved if something helped you to speed up the answer queue for other customers***

Sorry - its through a cable line, but a service provided by our power company.  My dad said its "DSL". 
Highlighted

Since I am clueless, the following site might be able to help with your connection related issue:

http://www.dslreports.com/tools

It could be a number of things, hopefully, with the tools above, and their forums , you might be able to solve this mystery, im sorry I could not be of help that much.